Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What is good

From time to time, I have moments of "self-pity." I don't like this fact or want to have such instances. However, when they come, I have to acknowledge the feelings, take them captive unto Christ, and then get back my focus on truth and the long list of blessings I have received. Once again, recovery is a daily process. I can't live on "yesterday's victories" alone. I have to celebrate the past, live in the present, and keep hoping for a great future.

When I get down or discouraged, I need to reminders, particularly from the Bible, about truth, hope, and what's best. Emotions can stink at times. Mine sure do. However, God's truth remains the same and steady. Look at Matthew 7:7-11. I read these verses this morning. They were much needed.

Matthew 7:7-11

Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
What stuck out to me this morning was in verse 11. Three words "give good things." God is a good Father. He gives "good things." He loves us. He knows what's best. Therefore, when I get in a funk or feel self-pity about my circumstances, it's easy to forget this truth about my Heavenly Father. He's not holding out on me. He may be pruning me and maturing me to be more ready to receive His good gifts, but He's not absent. He knows what I need, when I need it. The last thing I want to do is to receive either something that's not "good or best" or receive it before I am ready.

Some days I get overwhelmed and impatient. These are the days I need to be reminded to do what's very important (as the title of the section in Matthew 7 says): "Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking." I want to be persistent in my pursuit of God's best. I can't rely on my emotions to keep me "in the game." It's those days when my emotions don't line up with God's truth that I need to slow down my thoughts and work extra hard to pray and focus on what's true.

Today I needed to hear this truth. Simply reading one chapter in the Bible had a huge impact on my mindset this morning. God is so good. I believe, Lord, help my unbelief.
______________________________________________________________________
Matthew 6:31-34 (NKJV)
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment