Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2017 WORD / Focus

For the past couple of years, Amy and I have prayed for God to give us each a word or two that reflects His desire/focus for us based on a specific Bible verse. Every year God seems to show up and make it clear to each of us what He wants to teach us and have us meditate on. Last year my word or phrase was THINK BIG. Amy's was BELIEVE.

My key verse was Ephesians 3:20 - God is able to do abundantly MORE than we think or imagine (paraphrase). I would say God did some BIG things last year:
  • We sold our house in Mississippi
  • Moved to Florida (over 700 miles away from Mississippi)
  • Went back into full time ministry 
  • Only 5.5 months later left that ministry position - step of faith with a lot of confusion, sadness, and disappointment. BUT a peace from God.
  • Quickly were blessed by people who barely know us
  • Was given a church job (2 month full time temporary) right smack dab in the middle of a busy Christmas season by a family who reached out to us in our time of need
  • Amy published her first book!!
  • We were blessed to find Keswick Christian school for our children and us. And family has helped us pay for it. 
  • So many blessings (even not listed here)!
 Those are BIG things, but the crazy thing is, God isn't done yet. I still can't believe how good God is - He never stops amazing me. I sure don't feel deserving but my gratitude and prayer life have gone way up!!

This year's focus SEEMS TO BE coming to my mind repeatedly. I am hoping it sticks but am open to whatever God has to say. Obviously, when God gives us a focus, it doesn't mean we neglect other commands. This one I feel God telling me to focus on is something that is very much a part of my passion and drive. I believe God is telling me to stop focusing on trying to resolve my biggest hurdles (money and career) and to SERVE WELL.

I want to do what Jesus said to do in Mark 10:43-45... 


43 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
If the creator of the universe came to SERVE, then I need to do the same. He humbled Himself to the role of servant and wasn't concerned about his status, power, position, or prestige. As leaders, we don't need to get caught up in the position we are in or neglect to serve others. To lead like Jesus is to serve well.

I feel very strongly about this focus for the year. It will improve my attitude, work ethic, focus at work, focus at home, and outreach to strangers I meet. To serve others is to demonstrate humility, compassion, grace, mercy, kindness, encouragement, and keep the needs of others in mind as I go about my daily tasks. It will mean I clean, sweep, organize, help others, and do whatever else needs to be done at home and work and everywhere in between, "as unto the Lord." Jesus is ultimately my boss. When I work for Him, then my work takes on bigger and better meaning, even if the tasks seem "menial" or less than my capabilities. 

What is the word or phrase God is putting on your mind for 2017? Take some time to pray and listen. God will bring to mind Bible verses over and over that will help you realize His wishes for you. Let Him "prune" and mature you wherever needed. Let Him bless you in ways you don't feel deserving but deep down want (even if are afraid to ask for). Open your heart to His love, His friendship, His discipline, and His grace and mercy. Seek Him first and then all the other things you long for will begin to become clearer and more of a reality.

Be amazed by the God who made you and created you for oneness and fellowship with Himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment