Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A lesson learned from Buddy the Elf...






That is a hilarious movie. Buddy the Elf didn't filter his disgust in the "fake" Santa. He knew the real Santa and wanted everyone to know that this guy, who smelled like "beef and cheese" was an imposter and needed to be exposed for who he really is. How many of us are willing to do the same thing when it comes to other people being "fake?" How many times have you and I been confronted when our behaviors and attitude didn't line up with the Bible and Christianity? Not too often, unless you have children and teenagers.

My teenager this morning called me out. I was stressed a bit about getting everyone to school (and Amy who was substituting) on time. We were stuck at a red light for at least 10 minutes. I was complaining and finally my son had heard enough. He said something like, "Dad, it's fine. We don't have to be there until 7:50." I paraphrase, but he was clearly tired of hearing it, but calmly called me out. I agreed and chilled.

I would guess that many of us, including myself, struggle to confront sin and hypocrisy. I'm not sure why, because Jesus did it quite often. It's hard to be called out, and it's hard to call others out. But, when it is done in love and boldness with the intent of holding someone accountable to their Christian walk and maturity (and strengthen your relationship with them), then it is beneficial, even if the other person doesn't change right away. Jesus didn't shy away from telling the "super religious" how wrong they were. He even called them "white washed tombstones." Ouch, that doesn't sound like a nice thing to say, right? But, He called them out and gave them an opportunity to repent and walk in His truth. They declined and wanted Him dead.

Hypocrite; poser; "fake;" living on a "throne of lies;" actor, pretender; two-faced. These are all strong words that often unchurched/unbelievers use when referring to Christians. Sadly, there are a lot of hypocrites in the church, but truthfully, we are all hypocrites to some degree. Obviously, some people are very private and secretive, and unwilling to let others see their weaknesses/struggles/true self. It's one thing to be an introvert and a private person, but it's a whole different issue (hypocrisy) when we act or proclaim to be a certain way but in reality be quite the opposite. If I am one person publicly and someone very different privately (and never admit/confess this), then I am being a hypocrite.

The Strong's Concordance describes hypocrisy as such: 
hupokrités: one who answers, an actor, a hypocrite
Original Word: ὑποκριτής, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: hupokrités
Phonetic Spelling: (hoop-ok-ree-tace')
Short Definition: a hypocrite, dissembler
Definition: (lit: a stage-player), a hypocrite, dissembler, pretender.


5273 hypokritḗs (a masculine noun derived from 5259 /hypó, "under" and 2919 /krínō, "judge") – properly, a judging under, like a performer acting under a mask (i.e. a theater-actor); (figuratively) a two-faced person; a "hypocrite," whose profession does not match their practice – i.e. someone who "says one thing but does another."

[5273 (hypokritḗs) was commonly used of actors on the Greek stage. When applied in the NT, it refers to a hypocrite.
"Christianity requires that believers should be open and above-board. They should be themselves. Their lives should be like an open book, easily read" (K. Wuest, Word Studies, Vol 2, Pastoral Epistles, 1 Peter, 50,51).]

When I was living in major sin, I was confronted at least twice by church members, and several times by Amy. I lied often. I regret that, but I have such admiration for those who had the courage to stand up for what was right and call me out on my "throne of lies." I stunk, but didn't smell like beef and cheese. I smelled like sin and betrayal. UGLY!!! Thank God for exposing it and using it to humble me, and redeem me to Himself, my family, my church, and my friends. 

Are you a hypocrite? Am I? The answer is YES but hopefully our heart's desire is to be free from it, repent daily, and do our best to be transparent, real, open, honest, and walk in the Light and truth of Jesus Christ. It's hard to be transparent and let other people see your "warts and all." However, it is freeing and the best way to live. If I grow in my faith, and in the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control, goodness, and faithfulness (Galatians 5) of Jesus and the Holy Spirit, then I am doing as God intended. He said to abide in Him, and I will bear much spiritual fruit (John 15). Amen to that, and thank you God for Jesus not only being the perfect example, but letting me "live, and move and have my being in Him," incapable of doing anything God honoring apart from Him. He's my rock, my fortress, my help in time of need.
________________________________________________________________________________

John 15, New International Version (NIV)

The Vine and the Branches

15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment