Thursday, December 8, 2016

Now what?


Hey friends. I haven't blogged in a long time. Not sure why but it's time to start it up again. My wife Amy is a great blogger. She writes with such genuineness, depth, Biblical application, and boldness. You wouldn't know she is so bold at first meeting her. She's very sweet, quiet and introverted. Amazingly, our "marriage earthquake" of 2011 changed both of us quite a bit. She got bolder and stopped settling, and I got more honest and transparent. God has used something very traumatic and "ugly" for our good and His glory. Only God can pull off something like that.

The longer we are married, and the more we see God's mighty work in and through us, the more I love her, admire her, respect her, trust her, and look to her as my "helpmate." And, the more I love the Lord and grow to trust Him. Amy and I celebrate 20 years of marriage in 2017, and if you've seen or heard our story unfold, you can't help but praise God. Check out her blog here.

Since 2011, we have seen and experienced God's work in our lives through some amazing people, answered prayers, Bible studies, small groups, church worship, and family relationships. There were many days, months, weeks, and years that we did our best to simply get through each day without giving up. We've definitely had to lean on Jesus with our whole beings just to make it. God eventually brought us out of the funk, and we were able to minister to/with others more fully and confidently. Getting back into ministry became a burning desire, but we struggled to see how God would allow us to serve in a church full-time again.

I started praying in January of this year for God to do one of two things: take away my desire to get back into full-time ministry or remove the desire. Well, it wasn't long after that prayer that God opened the door for me to talk to a pastor friend about ministry. One thing led to another, and he invited our family to come to his church in Florida! I couldn't believe that he was willing to consider me, but after much prayer and visiting, we decided to pack up and move our family over 700 miles. What a blessing to be back in ministry. What a blessing for a friend to take a chance on us, knowing our full story. When we arrived in June 2016, the church family welcomed us with open arms and we went "all in." We have seen God work in amazing ways in just 5 months.

But here is the tragedy...my time at that church here in Florida is over. Last Wednesday I resigned and haven't been back to the church, unable to say goodbye personally to a majority of the people. One day I am fully employed, the next day I am without a job or ministry. There are lots of details to the situation that I won't share, but THANKFULLY I DIDN'T LEAVE DUE TO SIN OR MORAL FAILURE (unlike in 2011).

Sadly, the pastor and I couldn't overcome our differences. In my opinion, I didn't do anything to intentionally disrespect him, undermine him or his position as pastor, or do anything that would cause such tension. I also don't feel I under performed in my position as family pastor. I felt good about the work I was doing in each area of ministry. We loved the people; they loved us. I know I didn't do my job perfectly, but I don't think 5 months is long enough to build any sort of family ministry. It takes years. Regardless, things digressed quickly and I saw the "writing on the wall."

So, here I am without a church to call home or serve in. Though I don't agree with how things have played out (so far), I am moving on, grieving the loss of dear friends and full-time ministry at FABC, and asking God to show me/us where He wants us to serve next. Being without a job two weeks before Christmas isn't the ideal time of year, but it will increase the likelihood that we get to see God show out even more!

It's still a bit surreal, I must admit. It's a reminder that anything can happen "over night" - good or not
so good. In the blink of an eye, you can find yourself in a situation you can either fully submit to God and trust, or panic and live in fear and doubt. I'm hoping to go down the "trust and pray and obey even if things are perfectly clear" route, instead of the fear or doubt path. God has brought us too far for us to question His love and grace.

So, now what? I am seeking employment, part-time, full-time work, grunt work, ministry work - whatever work pays the bills, or gets as close as possible. Long term, Amy and I feel very strongly about pursuing Family Ministry. We have a heart and passion for helping couples and families overcome strongholds, heal, be restored, and walk in the Light, truth, and love of Christ. We may do it IN a local church or minister TO the local church. We don't know yet. We are praying for wisdom on how to fulfill this calling and passion.

I can hold my head up high, knowing God is in control, will teach me all that He wants me to learn, and that my faith, trust, and obedience is crucial to my growth and maturity. If sin needs to be exposed in me or anyone involved, then I pray that happens. If forgiveness needs to happen, then I pray that happens. If truth, even difficult to hear and receive, needs to happen (in love), then I pray that happens. I am praying for God's will, not mine, to be done.

Pray for us. Pray for the church. Pray for the students, the church body, and the leadership. Pray for wisdom, humility, healing, boldness, Biblical confrontation, faith, hope, and love. God is a good God, even when circumstances say otherwise...

__________________________________________________________________________

Ephesians 3:20, New International Version (NIV)

20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,

James 1:2-4, New International Version (NIV)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment