Saturday, June 27, 2015

Camp "Version" of Me

Just got back from a week of Centri-Kid camp with our church. There were 6 boys, including my son Collin, and 11 or so girls, and 5 or 6 adults in our group. There were nearly 400 total kids and adults at the camp I believe. It was at Timber Creek in Pulaski, MS. Awesome venue. Awesome camp. Lots of fun.

Being outdoors in the heat at camp brings a whole new appreciation in life. Our culture of kids in most places here have to be forced to go outside and play, unplugging from electronics. My generation had to be told to come in the house. What a change. It's not all bad, since both extremes can create issues, but I believe places like Timber Creek do a great job giving kids an outdoor experience in a fun, God-focused way. Centri-Kid camps bring a Jesus focused message that brings it all together.


As what usually happens at camp, I had a blast and came out of my "shell." Hence the "40 year old ninja" video and other crazy stuff Jason, Alex and myself came up with. We laughed so hard. Maybe I will post the video later. Anyways, I am grateful that I can still have fun at camp and be goofy with kids and adults. The Lord knew I needed that after the past four years, AND especially the last few difficult months. I have been a lot of things over the past few months, but fun and goofy not so much.

My goal at camp is usually to make kids smile, laugh, and lighten up. The only way I can do that is to lighten up myself. At work, I am usually up tight. At home I can get too focused on my to do list and trying to figure out how to lead my family well. Honestly, as I think about it, the kids HELP ME lighten up and have fun. They are great. It is such a fun place to be and enjoy life, even if for only a week. It is a memory to treasure for sure.

There are two lingering questions that always come up with me while at camp and vacation:


1. WHY CAN'T I BE MORE LIKE THIS WHEN I AM NOT AT CAMP (or vacation)?

2. WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE TO MAKE A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE IN PEOPLE'S LIVES THAT POINTS THEM TO CHRIST? AM I FULFILLING THE PURPOSE AND MINISTRY THAT GOD IS CALLING ME TO (or just working to pay bills)?


At camp, I feel like I am my "best self," or at least a whole lot closer to it. I sometimes feel like a different person when at camp. I loosen up, act silly, encourage others, have fun, and stress a whole lot less. I want to be more like this while at home and work. Well, I may need to tone it down a bit since I will mostly be around adults. :) However, I want my kids to see a lighter side of me more often. I still have to lead, discipline, etc, but it can be balanced better for sure.

I don't want to be too hard on myself, though. I am grateful that after four years of struggle, healing, restoration, and re-focusing, God still has given me a desire to go to camp, do ministry and help couples find hope for their marriage. After what I did, it is a miracle I still get the chance to make a positive difference in other people's lives, even if it is only at camp once a year.

The truth is, I have had lots of chances to share a message of failure, hope, loss, sin, and redemption. I pray that God uses our story to help someone else run to Christ and not give in to the lies of the evil one. Our church has been very gracious in allowing us to share with others, so Amy and I are praying that we will be faithful to share whenever God allows. I want our message to be Christ focused, clear, effective, and helpful to others. With some focused effort, I can be more like the "camp version of me,"rather than just once a year at camp or while on vacation. 

I believe there are a few practical ways I and maybe you can do this:

1. Re live the experience often. Look at pictures. Watch the videos, etc. Be reminded of God's faithfulness to show up and speak to us all.

2. Stop focusing on me, my failure, etc. Instead, I want to focus on ways to help others, pursue Christ, serve others, encourage others, etc. God is at work. He can enable me to make a positive difference if I will allow Him.


3. Live with purpose.God has equipped me and you with certain gifts and abilities. I want to use them often. Through prayer, journal writing, scripture reading, etc. I can get more in tune to what God is leading me to. I need to trust His timing. I want to be ready for what He has for me, even if it takes longer than I prefer.

4. Surround myself with positive people. What makes camp so much fun is the people and focus while there. The leaders, campers, and chaperone's are there for the same reason: to study about Jesus and have fun. When I am not at camp, I need to find people who are living more like I need and want to live. I often find myself around people who are draining. I need to do a better job spending time with the people who are uplifting, seeking Christ, and living out a life of purpose and calling.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Jeremiah 29:10-14The Message (MSG)

10-11 This is God’s Word on the subject: “As soon as Babylon’s seventy years are up and not a day before, I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

12 “When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen.

13-14 “When you come looking for me, you’ll find me.
“Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed.” God’s Decree.

“I’ll turn things around for you. I’ll bring you back from all the countries into which I drove you”—God’s Decree—“bring you home to the place from which I sent you off into exile. You can count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment