Monday, July 13, 2015

A Father's Prayer

As I read the book, The Way of the Wild at Heart, I realize that as a boy I missed some key truths about my Heavenly Father who sees me as His beloved Son. Jesus made this possible and accomplished this HUGE feat when He stepped out of Heaven and into human flesh. It's mind blowing really. Why do I resist it?

As I read Eldredge's book, I also realize how many moments I have with my own boys and girl, to make an impact on their lives. Some days I get it right; many others I miss it. I want them to see and experience more fully my delight in them and not question it. I want to instill discipline in them, but more importantly, I want them to have a sense of joy, delight, adventure, and freedom that flows from it. I have stifled this in them in more ways than I care to admit but thankfully way less since coming out of my darkness and life of secret sin. I have a lot to learn and grow into for sure. I am glad that God is still working on me and has not given up on me. How undeserved. How amazing.

John Eldredge is bringing to light not only my struggle and longing as a father but also my own as an "unfinished man." He concludes in chapter four (Raising the Beloved Son) with a father's prayer. It is powerful and can bring great healing. It is my prayer for myself and for father's who are longing to experience God as a loving father and walk as the beloved son we are in Him.

Father, I need to know that I am your son, and there is a place for me in your heart which no one else can fill. I need to experience your love. Raise the orphaned boy in me. Take me back to those places where I felt so missed, and show me that my heart matters to you. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear how you are raising the heart of the boy in me, raising me in belovedness even now. Heal and restore my soul as a son - as your Beloved Son. Give the grace to believe it.

And show me how to offer this to my son - what does he need with me at this time in his life? How might I have missed his heart? How can I come with love and delight now? Lead me, in Jesus' name.
The Six C's (My three and their cousins)



No comments:

Post a Comment