Saturday, July 4, 2015

Have I Voided My Calling?

Happy 4th of July!! Christ has set us free! Millions of men and women have fought for our freedoms here in America. We are blessed in so many ways. 

This holiday triggers some thoughts for me: Did my sin of adultery nullify or void my calling or future ministry?  

I am still free and Christ's promises still hold true. However, since I blew it a few years ago, and I wrecked the ministry I was involved in, I often wonder what God will have me do as a result. Don't get me wrong, I am blessed and have been given a second chance in my marriage, my family, my walk with Christ. He has used our story to help others. I can share the gospel anywhere, even while doing electrical work. Despite all of that, I still have a longing to do more and share more. What does God have to say about that? What are His plans?

I know I am forgiven. I know God can use the mess up to do something good. I also know that in Scripture, sometimes God required His wayward people to not experience His full blessings due to sin and unbelief. At other times He restored them and they were able to do more and more in His name. Regardless, God's grace and mercy WAS ALWAYS PRESENT. HE NEVER STOPPED LOVING HIS PEOPLE.

Some Examples of God's People Being Excluded from Experiencing More (Despite His grace and mercy)

Adam and Eve sinned and were removed from the garden (Genesis 3)

Moses never got to see or experience the Promised Land (Deuteronomy 32-33)

Many of the Israelites never got to see the Promised Land and wandered in the desert for 40 years (Numbers 32)

David didn't get to build the new Temple (2 Samuel 7, 1 Chronicles 22)

Israelites would be in exile for 70 years before the promises of God were fulfilled to them through Jeremiah (Jeremiah 29:10-14)

Some Examples of God's People Still Being Able to Experience Ministry Opportunities Despite Their Sin

Jonah ran from God but was later obedient and shared a message of repentance to an evil nation who repented (Jonah)

Saul, later named Paul, who crucified Christians, was called by God and wrote a majority of the New Testament (Acts 9)

Peter, one of Jesus' disciples, denied even knowing Jesus but was later restored and led thousands to Christ through His preaching and the Holy Spirit's raining down through him (John 21, Acts 2)

I don't know what all God has planned for Amy and me regarding ministry, vocation, career, etc, but I do know this...

1. He has showered us with His grace and mercy FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. We have experienced Christ Jesus in powerful, real ways despite the intense struggle and pain.

2. God is faithful, even when we are faithless (2 Timothy 2:13). If God wants His people to suffer the full consequences of their sin and be taken out of this world, excluded, punished, etc. then in love He will do that. If God wants to restore them and do even greater things despite their sin, in love He will do that. His ways are higher than ours. He knows what is best and His will is going to be done. He will never deny Himself or His own promises, even if we screw up. I want to be found faithful from here on out, but I know I am incapable on my own.

3. As Christ followers, we all are called to "preach." Our lives are meant to reflect His Light, His Life, and His truth, even after we mess up and sin in big ways. He saved us and calls us to daily repentance, power, and hope to a dark world. I don't have to work in a church or ministry to do ministry. My main ministry starts at my house with my family. Then from there I am called to be a Light where ever I find myself: privately and publicly.

God may choose to allow Amy and I to have an established "ministry" or He may not. Regardless, He is good, faithful, and has done far more than we have deserved. He is the hero of our story. May we give Him the praise and glory, even when we are uncertain about what to do next. We pray He will do far more than we could ever think or imagine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment