Friday, July 10, 2015

Who you gonna call?

 
This is a picture of the famous "Ghostbusters," of 1984. It came to my mind today when writing this post titled, "Who you gonna call?" I am not talking about ghosts, but if you have a "ghost" problem, then you know who to call.
 
I am talking about something a bit more serious: who are you going to call when you need Godly counsel, wisdom, accountability, encouragement, "sin prevention," advice, etc.? Do you have a GO TO person (or persons)? I hope so.
 
For YEARS, I had been told (and probably told others) how important Godly counsel and accountability were to the Christian walk. HOWEVER, I DIDN'T DO IT WELL. It caught up with me eventually, and the outcome was ugly, painful, destructive, and preventable.
 
God puts people in our lives and path for good reason. He made us for community and connection. We need others. They need us. IF we want to mature, grow, more effectively fight spiritual warfare, and band as Christian brothers and sisters. We aren't meant to go solo, be lone rangers, etc.
 
As a Christian brother who fell, I now have to put people in my life to walk this journey with me, even if by phone, text, etc. Since the "earthquake" of 2011 (my confession to Amy), I have had the privilege of talking with men who have encouraged me, consoled me, prayed for and with me, and more: Todd, Jim, Michael, Bob, Larry, Jonathan, Jason, Whit, Tee, Paul, Shane, Travis, Josh, Justin, and many others. I can call these guys and many others and hear an encouraging word from them.
 
Here are some questions you may have:
 
1. When do I call them? Some I talk to weekly. Some monthly or so. Some less. All are important and have different perspectives and insights. I have narrowed who I call down to a few, mainly due to life stage and flexibility options. Most of them I text, call or talk to at church.
 
2. What prompts me to call them? There are three main reasons I call - Vulnerability to sin/temptation, emotional/spiritual 'funk', or Wisdom/advice. When I am feeling weak or tempted (even if mostly in my head), I call someone, usually Larry. Evil thrives in darkness. Sin starts small and grows in the mind. The best way to detour this is to call and confess to someone. It works!! I also may call if I need advice or wisdom, or if I am feeling like I am stuck in an emotional/spiritual rut or pit. We've have some seriously dark, despair filled days since 2011. Letting someone pray with us or speak truth into us when our faith is weak is HUGE!
 
3. What do they say? Some say very little. Some share what God is doing in their life and how it may apply. Some ask probing questions. Some pray right there with me on the phone. Others listen and express care and sympathy. It really depends on each person and their insights. All are helpful. Sometimes I need a kick in the butt. Other times I need grace and soft approach.
 
A great book for men's accountability is by Dr. Mark Laaser called THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF HIGHLY ACCOUNTABLE MEN. A must read. A Christian based perspective AND professional counselor/pastoral perspective. And, from a man who has successfully stayed sober from his sex addiction for 25+ years.
 
So, who are you going to call? Do you have at least one person (preferably the same gender) that you can call? I suggest more than one since not everyone will be available when you need them. This is no light issue. Don't settle on this and neglect it. IT'S URGENT.
_______________________________________________________________________
 
Ephesians 5:8-17 (NIV)
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:
“Wake up, sleeper,
    rise from the dead,
    and Christ will shine on you.”
15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.

No comments:

Post a Comment