Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Desire

The Psalm says, "Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart." The world says delight yourself in the world and it will give you the desires of your flesh. Two very different paths and outcomes.

As I continue to seek God's guidance, I realize that I long for His desires and to live out His calling, while struggling to feel worthy and confused at times. When Jesus died, Peter went back to fishing, his previous occupation. He gave up His desire and hope for following the Lord. Jesus had other plans. Jesus restored Peter and helped him bust through his failures and start his true calling - to be a disciple of Christ - no matter the cost.

How often do I drift back toward "fishing" and give up on pursuing God's desires in my heart? Shame and fear can keep me stuck. I don't want to give up pursuing God's calling and live out the desires He has put in my heart. I also don't want to let the world and my flesh lead my decisions either. A great book that addresses this head on is John Eldredge's book, Desire. The free audio download is awesome stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment