Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Easy to do...Easy Not to Do

Amy has been reading the book, The Slight Edge, by Jeff Olson and loves it. I picked it up recently and don't want to  put it down. It's incredible. Yet, so simple in concept. What I have come to be reminded of is this: Where I am today spiritually, financially, physically and emotionally is the direct result of my choices, philosophy, beliefs and actions over the past 39 years.  

After reading, One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp, my perspective on life changed. I went from worrying about every little struggle to seeking and receiving the thousands of blessings, aka "gifts" God is steadily pouring out. My emotional fog lifted and I saw things differently. I believed it prepared the way for me to read The Slight Edge. I have new momentum, new purpose and new direction. It's time to stop giving up on my dreams and start pursuing them, one day at a time, one choice at a time. Remember Psalm 37:4? 

The Slight Edge is "a way of thinking, a way  of processing information that enables you to make the daily choices that will lead you to the success you desire." 

Jeff says that "about one person in twenty is achieving a significant measure of  his or her goals in life: financial, professional, personal, marital, spiritual, in terms of health, in whatever terms you want to look at. Ninety five percent are either failing or falling short." He goes on to say:
If you learn to understand and apply the Slight Edge, your life will become filled with hundreds of thousands of small, seemingly insignificant actions - all of them easy to do, none of them mysterious, complex or difficult. And those actions will create your success. That's what successful people do: simple things that are easy to do.
"How are these simple, everyday actions supposed to create all this wonderful happiness, health and success for me, if they're all easy to do - if anyone could do them? If these are things anyone can do, why are only five percent successful?" Because they're all also easy not to do - and while anyone could do them, most won't.

This morning I realized that all this time (for the past few months, and probably much of my life), I have prayed for God to bail me out. I have made tons of awful, daily decisions and had a jacked up philosophy. I have let negativity, self-hatred, shame, fear, and pride dictate many of my decisions. No wonder I ended up falling flat on my face and hurting so many people.

I have stopped praying for God to show up in a huge way. He has done so much already. I am praying now for the wisdom and courage to make DAILY DECISIONS OF OBEDIENCE. My choices today, right now will either move me closer to the person He desires for me to be and to live the full life He wants me to live, OR they will lead me further away.  The great news is, according to The Slight Edge:
It's never too late to start.
It's always too late to wait.

My excitement has been renewed this morning. God has reminded me (ONCE AGAIN) that He is trustworthy and to walk with Him, one day, one hour, one step at a time. This can apply to every area of my life: purity, finances, marriage, parenting, family, career, and on and on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment