Tuesday, November 26, 2013

"Givers Get"

Giving. It's a central characteristic of God. It's life changing to us when we do it. It's the very thing that contradicts our sinful nature and "self" centered culture. It can reduce depression, selfishness, greed, discontentment, pride, fear, and judgmental attitudes. We all need it.

However, when it comes to money, for example, giving is usually one of the top two things we stop doing when money is tight. Saving is another. What's interesting is that some of the wealthiest people in the world are givers; and not just financially. They have a perspective on life that says "I want to make more money so I can bless more people." That's what the authors of The One Minute Millionaire believe, and call an "Enlightened Millionaire." Giving is a key trait of a person of character, integrity, perspective and even contentment and joy. 

The book is full of insights that are incredible. Here's a quote from the book that reflects some of this mindset of giving:
We learn that "givers get" only through the experience. Behaving this way, of a little hesitantly, opens us to the spiritual dimension of wealth building. Give your time, your approval, your smile, your advice, your wisdom, your compliments, your sense of humor, your talent, your attention, your encouragement, your love. All these things will flow back to you in abundance. The spiritual dimension expands, multiplies, and adds value to all it is given.
Part of my recovery plan is to give back, beyond money. God has blessed me in so many ways, so I want to be a blessing to others. It is transforming to me and hopefully to others. Counseling is one of the ways I get to do that. I have been amazed and honored by the people I get to walk alongside in the counseling room. People's stories have touched me deeply. Some have stretched me greatly. I have to pray frequently for God to fill the counseling room and do His work. I know without the Holy Spirit I would be of little use to them.

King David in Psalm 51 pleads with God to restore him and promises to "give back" to others.  Look at verses 10-13, particularly verse 13:
10 Create [j]in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew [k]a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners will [l]be converted to You.
In year three of our recovery, giving back or helping others is where I feel I am moving toward. The first two years, I didn't feel ready to do much "giving back" or teaching others. Though I counseled part time, I still struggled to feel ready to do much good for others. There was so much personal work to do, and marriage healing to occur. I finally feel more free to "give back," but I KNOW I still have to work on me and stay in my own recovery. I know my limitations and weaknesses, so I have to work on me, AS I GIVE to others; not in place of.

Amy and I are in the early stages of asking God how we can best give and help others. Financially I want to be in a better place so I can be a blessing to our church and community. Counseling and volunteer opportunities are other ways. Loving my wife and children fully is where my ministry starts. I want to be obedient and trust God's leading. I am a work in progress. Abundant giving is a worthy pursuit that has tons of benefits. It's extremely rewarding no doubt.

Giving, not in a co-dependent way, but in a healthy, other-focused way is life changing. Most of us want to give more and do more for others. Sadly, most of us hold back and don't do it well or as often as we'd  like. Me included. I have struggled to give and do for others and have missed out on so many blessings due to that fact. God is our greatest example of giving - He gave His only Son for us, so that we could find  life in Him. He's a giver and wants us to be givers and serve others. His ways are best, so I want to trust Him at His word. No more holding back!
_______________________________________________________________________

Acts 20:35, New American Standard Bible (NASB)

35 In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

No comments:

Post a Comment