Friday, November 8, 2013

Other People's Wisdom


I, sadly, have learned hard life lessons from my mistakes. I knew better and let fear, selfishness, greed, pride, and stubbornness keep me stuck in sin. I also know that in some ways I acted in "ignorance and unbelief" and gave in to temptations "common to man." Balancing grace and regret in a healthy, God-honoring way is a process I am learning.

Over the past two years, I have read many books that revealed much wisdom, that I longed for and needed. I know I lack wisdom, so I pray for God to give it, as He says do in the book of James. As a counselor, I have to pray during each session for wisdom. As a husband and father, I have to pray daily for wisdom. As a friend, I have to pray for wisdom. As a child of God, I pray for wisdom.

A book that I am reading back through that is giving me wisdom is also by Dr. Mark Laaser called, The 7 Principles of Highly Accountable Men. Accountability is something I neglected for most of my life. I am thankful to now have men in my life to hold me accountable, though I know much improvement is still needed with it. 

Dr. Laaser has been sober and in recovery for his sexual addiction for  over 25 years. The work he has done personally and professionally has proven effective. He knows and understands the value and critical nature of having God transform your mind and heart. Part of that change occurs with proper accountability. Accountability goes beyond just asking each other hard questions. Dr. Laaser takes it to a whole new level and in his book, walks through each critical step, based on God's design and Scripture, particularly the story of Nehemiah.

There are seven key principles of accountability, and he sums up the book by saying that, "Accountability is a lifestyle." It's something we do ongoing, for the long haul, "whatever it takes, as long as it takes." We can't achieve it alone - we need God's help and other people's help - and other people need us. We are "damaged by relationships and healed by relationships."

I am thankful that God changed Dr. Laaser's life and is instilling wisdom into him that he is passing on to so many others. May my life be more like that. That gives me hope and reassurance that though the journey is often very difficult and challenging, it is worth the pursuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment