Saturday, March 8, 2014

5 Things I am Thankful For


Since the "fallout of 2011," my eyes have been opened to the joy of living in pursuit of God's best - as only He is able to allow and ensure. It's been a daily struggle to let go of the baggage in my heart and soul and let God do His slow and steady work in me.

5 Things I am thankful for... (in no particular order)

1. My children - This weekend has already proven to be full of fun and amazement. It's been me and the "boys" (my two sons) since Friday morning. Claire is playing hard with her cousin Chloe, probably squealing and laughing constantly. They love each other so much. It's nice to be within a two and a half hour drive to be able to visit. It's only an hour when we meet up halfway, which is what we did this weekend.

Me and the boys have had a great time, starting with Friday morning. We spent the day together in Corinth laughing and reconnecting, which was long overdue. There has been some tension over the past couple of weeks due to stresses with school and some behaviors needing to be "readjusted." This weekend, we are having a blast. We watched a movie together last night. This morning we ran the Amanda Price 5K/10K. They were so excited. They got up at 6:30 am and were ready to roll out of the driveway before 7:30 am. They both had a great race and loved their fellowship with their friends. They are now playing hard with friends in the neighborhood.

2. Amy - Amy is in Jackson with friends and business partners being trained and edified. Her personal and spiritual growth this year has been amazing. She has stepped out of her "shell" more and more over the past two and a half years. It's such a blessing to see her grow as a woman and person. She continues to amaze me.

3. Health and fitness - good health is something most of us take for granted until we lose it. Since 2012, I have realized I was not taking good care of myself, particularly with nutrition. Amy and I had to make some lifestyle adjustments when it comes to food, and it has paid off. I have lost over 15 pounds and kept it off for over a year and a half. The Advocare products combined with healthy eating has made a huge difference in how we feel daily. Since September 2013, I have been part of a running group in town. It has pushed me to get out and exercise daily, for good physical AND mental health. It is a great group of people who thrive on encouraging each other. This morning I ran the 10K and had a great race. I am thankful to be able to run hard and enjoy physical fitness. I never want to take this for granted.

4. Friends and community - The greater enjoyment today at the 10K race was the fellowship with our new friends in this community. I wasn't sure I would ever experience such close community again since all of the junk that happened in 2011. It is truly a God-sized blessing.

Even more shocking was the number of texts I have received from guy friends of mine asking how my race went. I can't believe I have such a long list of guys here in our community who lift me up and provide encouragement and friendship. And, the more amazing thing is that they know our story. They know how much of a prodigal I was and still choose to befriend me and care for me. Wow! I want to return the favor to them and be a great friend who cares at all times.

5. Being "uncomfortable" - For a long time, I resisted getting help with my many weaknesses and struggles. Though I was very uncomfortable with myself and in my sin, I have now seen how much God can do when I allow Him to make me "uncomfortable" during the sanctification/growth process. Speaking to people about our "story" is uncomfortable, but it is healing, therapeutic, and hopefully helpful to others. Letting go of a lot of baggage is "uncomfortable" for awhile, but it's freeing to work through the struggle. Facing the many consequences of my sin is "uncomfortable" but it has helped free me up, hold me accountable, and strengthen me more and more. I would have never experienced such growth had I run from such consequences. I wish I hadn't done the things that caused my consequences, but I want to continue to become better as a result of them - For His Name Sake.
______________________________________________________________________
God is so good to show me such blessings. I don't want to waste them. With His help, I want others to praise Him, not me. God is the One who deserves the credit. He's the hero. Though I don't know why He still is at work in my life, it is a reflection of the truth that His "faithfulness" does not depend on mine. At the same time, He is a loving Father who gives good gifts; mostly the gift of Himself. Opening that gift never gets old.


No comments:

Post a Comment