Monday, March 31, 2014

Cattle on a thousand hills

I heard a story of a couple who was struggling financially. They had recently read in Psalms about how God "owns the cattle on a thousand hills" (Psalm 50:10). They were starting to worry and fear that they would lose everything they owned, despite their urgent prayers to God that seemed to go unanswered. They prayed for faith to trust God and knew He could provide for them, even if it meant He would sell some of His cattle on those hills. Seemed silly to ask such as request, but God said we "have not because we ask not." It was worth a shot and demonstrated child-like faith.

One day they got a knock on their door. A man whom they didn't know brought them a check for nearly the same amount they needed. He said he felt God led him to them. He told them he had recently sold some cattle, and God told him to take them the money. Wow! Coincidence? I don't think so. 

Now I don't know for sure if this story is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. That's the kind of God we serve. 2 Chronicles 16:9 says, "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him." God is a good Father and wants to take care of us. Sometimes He sustains us through the "storms" of life by providing the resources we need - even if it means selling His "cattle." Other times He sustains us spiritually and emotionally to help us endure the storms, even if it means we suffer loss and have to wait until He is ready to give us more. 

My dad owns cattle, and I have grown up around them my whole life. I know cattle can be sold to help provide for needs. My dad has sold cattle all his life and used the money to pay for needs in the family and for others. Therefore, that story about the couple being given money by a cattle farmer isn't that hard to comprehend for me. It actually makes me smile to think about, though I haven't always had the same appreciation for cattle as my dad, much to his dismay I am sure. 

The more I read about God's provision through scripture and in people's lives, including my own, the more I am amazed by Him. He really is crazy about us. I know He hates sin, but not just because He can't be around it due to His holiness. He hates sin also because He loves us so much and sees sin destroy us, His beloved creation. He came to get us out of the darkness, and is saddened when we keep running to it. 

This morning I got a daily devotional from a friend and it spoke to me just as I needed. Check it out below: 

Luke 9:13-14, NIV
 13 He replied, “You give them something to eat.”

They answered, “We have only five loaves of bread and two fish—unless we go and buy food for all this crowd.” 14 (About five thousand men were there.)
The commentary explained the verses:
When the disciples expressed concern about where the crowd of thousands would eat, Jesus offered a surprising solution: "You feed them." The disciples protested, focusing their attention on what they didn't have-food and money. Do you think God would ask you to do something that you and he together couldn't handle? Don't let your lack of resources blind you to seeing God's power.
Do you ever have trouble seeing, believing and experiencing God's power due to a lack of resources? I sure do. When we focus on our inabilities, our lack, our weaknesses, we lose sight of God's power. He is able to do far more than we think or imagine. Be blown away today by His love, provision, and power. 

May we be like Abraham as it says about him in Romans 4:20,
"...yet with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief, but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God." 

No comments:

Post a Comment