Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Until an opportune time

Luke 4:13, "When the devil had finished every temptation, he left Him until an opportune time." 

It's this verse that reminds me to do at a minimum two things each morning/day:
1. Delight in the Lord and meet with Him personally and enjoy fellowship with Him. This impacts everything I do and everyone I am around - especially Amy, my children, and others.

2. Put on my battle gear. The evil one, i.e. the devil/Satan, is waiting to trip me up and lead me astray. I know what sins I am capable of and the devil knows as well. This is why accountability and walking with a "band of brothers" is so important. I don't want to do battle alone. It's foolish and even unbiblical.

I failed for most of my life as a Christ follower to do these two things. It cost me dearly. Now, I want to keep growing, seeking, praying, striving for more of the Lord. I try to do this every morning, but I still have hard days of moodiness, confusion about the direction the Lord is leading me in, etc. I still get bothered by things that I shouldn't. I get overwhelmed and have fears that keep me stuck.

At the same time, God has given me gratitude that keeps things in perspective. He shows me how He is at work in and around me. He enables me to enjoy my family more. He gives me the courage to open up to guys about personal matters. He is walking with me through a time of learning, stretching and maturing that is not easy but is taking me places that I would never go on my own.

Luke 4:13 is a reminder that the temptation will come. The verse right after that reflects how Jesus stood up to temptation and had such boldness, wisdom, and victory...

Luke 4:14, "And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit..."

The power of the Spirit. What a gift from God. My efforts and strength are useless and powerless, but the Spirit's power is unhindered. Fill me up, Lord, each day!! Temptation and the devil's schemes have no hold on us when the Spirit is in us. Am I letting the Spirit lead or my flesh? I hope I allow the Spirit to lead.

This week started out with me feeling overwhelmed by various tasks at hand. I am still struggling a bit to do the tasks and not give in to doubt. However, I realize that I have been focusing on the wrong thing - me. God has proven faithful over and over to me - why am I focusing on my limitations rather than His power? It's crazy. When I focus on Him and His power, all the fears and doubts go away. They have no hold in comparison to Him.

I believe, Lord, help my unbelief! Be HUGE in my life and heart and soul today! 


No comments:

Post a Comment