Monday, December 16, 2013

1 + 3 = Awesome!

This weekend, Amy and I went to her sister's old house to pick up a couch, love seat and other miscellaneous items to help them better sell their house. The snow was beautiful, though her driveway was more like an ice skating rink. It was a great time together as a couple, and somehow, we made it home with the furniture still in tact.

It would have been some humorous video footage of Amy and I moving those couches by ourselves. It took lots of straining and maneuvering, but we finally got it all loaded up. It nearly did us in! I asked her on the way home if it would have been such a peaceful weekend a few years ago, trying to move such difficult stuff. She said, "I wouldn't have asked you to go a few years ago." We have come a long way. That's a huge blessing!

On the way home, I sent a text to a friend of ours who has two big teenage sons. This father and son trio can move some furniture in a hurry. I desperately needed their help getting our couch and HEAVY entertainment center out of the house, and the new HEAVY couches into the house. He responded instantly and said they would meet us at my house at 7 pm. I breathed a breath of relief! And I'm sure Amy did too. :)

1 + 3 = Awesome! Well, this trio of "movers" showed up and within 30 minutes, everything was moved and in place. They came in like a whirlwind and moved stuff flawlessly. It was unreal! I would still be trying to figure out how to get those things moved. I probably would have also hurt myself (or the couches) in the process. Thank you Kenny and boys!

Another huge blessing was meeting an old friend of ours who was driving from Rolling Fork to Jackson, TN. Amy and I were going to have to drive an hour and a half out of our way to go pick up her mom's wallet in Winona. She had left it at McDonald's while eating their with our three children. After sending out a Facebook message asking if anyone was "just happening to be driving through Winona headed North," we heard back from Meredith and Kim. This is quite a long story: Kim just happened to be driving through Winona, was able and willing to get the wallet. She first had to meet Frank, another friend's step dad, who picked up the wallet from McDonald's and lives in Winona. Frank then met Kim to give her the wallet, who then brought it to us in Memphis, TN. And Kim's route to Jackson, TN from Rolling Fork, MS and our route to North MS from O'Fallon, IL just happened to be crossing paths within 15 minutes of each other! God is good! That saved her mom a lot of grief and us a lot of extra driving! PTL!

I am so blessed. It is still amazing to see God at work all around us. The "little" things He does never cease to amaze me. I was reminded of some great truths this weekend:

1. God can turn a bad situation into something amazing. He took my jacked up life and mess and is turning it in to something good. What a good God!

2. There's power in numbers. I can't do the Christian life and/or recovery alone (or moving furniture). The multiplied effect and power in numbers is incredible. We can accomplish so much more in groups of people pursuing Christ and similar goals.

3. As a couple, Amy and I benefit greatly from time alone together. We missed our children but this weekend was a true benefit to our relationship.

4. Giving and serving others is life changing and rewarding. People have blessed us in so many ways. We want to do the same for others and "pay it forward," even if in small, subtle ways.

5. Having great friends is priceless.

What could have been stressful, anger invoking and very frustrating was instead a weekend of experiencing God do some amazing things through difficult circumstances and generous people. I could have so easily missed it! Thankfully I didn't miss it and experienced the power of prayer, personal growth, and God's grace and mercy. Thank you Lord that I was able to see the good in it all. Thank you for opening my heart and eyes to be able see You more clearly!
______________________________________________________________________

James 1:12, The Message (MSG)

 12 Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life.


No comments:

Post a Comment