Monday, December 2, 2013

Time is the great equalizer

Yesterday, I laughed harder than I have laughed in a while. I still laugh thinking about what happened yesterday at my niece's birthday party. It reminded me of a scene from Shallow Hal. I even quoted the movie after it happened! No one but me and Amy seemed to get that quote. Oh well.

Here's what happened: Late in my niece's 6 year old "painting party," I sat down beside Amy and noticed the wooden chair didn't sound too good when I sat down. It sounded a bit unstable, but crazy me just kept on sitting in it. I even had Collin sit in my lap and was silly with him. After about 5 minutes, the "bottom" fell out, literally. I suddenly found myself sitting on the concrete floor with Collin on top of me and a chair busted into twenty pieces! Apparently it was loud because the entire room (except the 6 year old girls opening presents) turned to look. I can hardly type for laughing!

Anyway, I stand up and see the chair busted to pieces and ask the owner who was highly concerned that I was hurt, and I said, "What is this chair made of?" Steel." She didn't get it. Oh well, I thought it was funny. Amy and my sister were rolling, as were the others. Amy even joked and said to my sister, "And you guys said he was too skinny!"

Many of the guests at the party didn't want to laugh too hard since they didn't know who I was, or at least not well. We were in Alabama. Then, my 10 year old, Caleb, walks over and says, "I heard the noise and looked over and saw your feet sticking up in the air!" Hilarious! Then, the guy dressed up as Santa said to me on my way out of the door, "I have a bag of switches set aside for you, or more like a bag of splinters." More laughter! Too funny!

Somehow I didn't crash the shelf behind me that was full of ceramics. I guess I didn't throw my arms back because I was holding Collin. Good thing I suppose. That would have been bad! After the party, my sister thanked me for adding such excitement and said "That was one for the record books." I admit it was crazy funny. I am glad it didn't hurt me or Collin because that would have been bad and not as funny. Good stuff.

I guess I tell that story because it reflects how I want to be more often - willing to laugh at myself and not take life so seriously. For the past two and a half years, I have been working toward that. I have come a long way, but I know I still have far to go. I'm glad I was able to laugh at that situation instead of letting embarrassment cause me to feel angered. That never crossed my mind. It was funny and I can laugh about it for a long time.

My problem is that too often I catch myself getting OCD with the day to day stuff and let little "stresses" bother me. My dislike for clutter gets me agitated when it really shouldn't matter that much. I want to be joyful, patient, kind, AND be responsible, have integrity, and work hard. I want to balance it in a way that helps me enjoy life and live life to the fullest. A life with no regrets; or as few regrets as possible.

I prayed yesterday that God would help me slow down and enjoy each hour of every day more fully. Busyness isn't always necessary. I want to play more with my children, go on more dates with Amy, sit and ponder things more, and not let life fly past me. Some days I do it well. Others I don't. It's part of the learning process.

I don't want to dwell on the past. I can learn from it and look to a better future. A better future starts with my choices today. As Jeff Olson says in The Slight Edge,
Time will be your friend or your enemy; it will promote you or expose you. If you're doing the simple disciplines, time will promote you. If you're doing the few simple errors in judgment, time will expose you - no matter how well you appear to be doing right now. Time is the great equalizer.
Today is a new day. Yesterday is over. Tomorrow is yet to come. The best thing I can do is to enjoy today. Will I make the most of today or will I look back tomorrow and wish I would have lived it more fully? The great thing is that I don't have to keep putting off the things I want and need to do today. Today is a gift to be opened and enjoyed. Thank you, Jesus.
______________________________________________________________________

Matthew 6:30-34, The Message

30-33 “If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. 34 “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment