Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pessimist Support Group

I have been a moody person most of my life. I am sure I made my parents and sister's life more difficult by my mood swings. Not knowing how to best express those feelings, and not feeling all that free to, added to the difficulty. I later made Amy's life more difficult by those mood swings. What a mess I made. It proves I was very stubborn and slow to surrender to God's best. I guess it's "better late than never."

I used to joke, as a pessimist, that I was going to start a Pessimist Support Group. But, then I got to thinking, "Nobody would probably show up." So I didn't. Ha. Funny, yet sad. I spent a lot of years as a Pessimist. I am now a Recovering Pessimist, among other things. 

Some days I don't know what my mood will be when I wake up. I HATE feeling in a bad mood. I want to be positive, joyful, and outgoing. Some days I succeed. Many days I don't. Regardless, what I am trying to make my brain realize and overcome is: Attitude (and mood) is a choice. My thoughts are what drive my mood. Positive thoughts, beliefs, and difficulties produce positive emotions. The opposite is true, too.

Since I am in the counseling world as a profession, I know that many people have real life struggles and mood disorders, such as depression, anxiety, bi-polar, etc. to overcome. Some people need medical help to manage these issues. Regardless, getting help is a choice. Taking the medications that are needed is a choice. Doing mental health therapy and personal development is a choice.

Sadly for me, my efforts to stay positive and joyful don't come naturally. I have to daily read, pray, and do all I can to move toward the positive. I can get easily side tracked and distracted, but I quickly try to get back on course and choose a positive attitude. Reading positive, empowering books, articles, blogs, the Bible, and more is a must. It's my daily "sustenance." Without them, I drift back to the negative. Again, it's my choice.

Attitude is a choice. Change occurs between my ears (my thoughts, beliefs, philosophy). That's why I must pursue Christ and let Him transform my mind to be more in line with His. The holy spirit works in and through me to mold and shape me. My love for Christ and letting His love change me, my heart, my soul, my mind and my strength is the foundation for my change.

I read the quote (below) this morning. For us all, particularly those who drift toward the negative, here is a reminder to CHOOSE joy, happiness, and the positive this holiday season. I pray you experience tons of gratitude and blessing, and then "pay it forward." As they say in networking, "Givers Gain." Acts 20:35 says, "...1it is more blessed to give than to receive." So true. May I trust this foundational truth, always, and despite my circumstances.
"In preparation for all of the holiday gatherings you will be attending remember to ALWAYS BE POSITIVE. Be the one who brightens a room and every conversation you enter. It is easy to pile on to a complaint fest or add to the rousing gossip, but you will actually be perceived better by others if you don’t join them in that talk." Darren Hardy
_________________________________________________________________
Romans 12:2 (NASB)
And do not be conformed to this [c]world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may [d]prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [e]acceptable and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment