Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Love Songs to My "Boyfriend"

Yesterday I was able to work at the house and paint our stairwell walls and foyer, plus hang a ceiling fan. The walls are over 15 feet high, so it was an interesting task. Thankfully a friend of ours loaned me his tall ladder. After 10 hours, I got the first coat of paint done and the ceiling fan hung. I just need to touch up the edges and call it done (hopefully).

While working, I had the house to myself and decided to listen to a Matt Chandler sermon on Advent, and then had the Itunes praise and worship radio playing. While listening, I couldn't but think about something Ryan Dobson said on AFR (American Family Radio) a few weeks ago when he and Dr. Dobson were interviewing someone about why men struggle at church. He said (paraphrase), "It feels like I am singing love songs to my boyfriend." (aka Jesus Christ).

The guy they were interviewing talked about how church and the worship service, including the songs, is generally geared toward women (not always). The decor, music choice, etc. are typically more appealing to women than to men. I have often felt this to be true. There is even a book called, Why Men Hate Going to Church by David Murrow. Here's an exert from the book:
I want to read the book and see the list of reasons men struggle with church. I am sure I would agree with many of them. I also recognize that some things may not bother me because they aren't a "hill worth dying on." The key for me would be to aim for a win-win, for women, teens, men, and even children.

Anyway, as I listened to the worship songs yesterday, I remembered what Ryan Dobson said about singing songs to his "boyfriend," which he was talking about was Jesus. I love praise and worship music, but Ryan is right. A lot of the songs sound like "love songs" that could easily be sung to a woman. Heck, a lot of them would be very romantic if you put them in a different setting or context. I am not very romantic I admit. I have never sung a love song to Amy. I have made her a play list of love songs. Does that count? I hope so! :)

Below are some examples of great worship songs that have a "less than appealing" male perspective. I am not trying to mock or criticize them. I love most of these songs. It is just a way of showing that most men can't comfortably sing "love songs" to another man, even if it is Jesus. Maybe it's a heart issue. Maybe it's a gender issue. Maybe it's the way our culture has shifted and has downplayed masculinity. Hard to know. We each must search our own hearts and ask the LORD to show us any way in us that is not honoring to Him or is out of sync with His truth.

Example #1: All I Want
Lord I love the way You love me
And how You move me deep within
Lord I love the way You hold me
And draw me into You
Lord I love the way You bless me
And how You look into my heart
Lord I love the way You lead me
Right into Your arms
Example #2: Draw Me Close to You
Draw me close to You
Never let me go
I lay it all down again
To hear You say that I'm Your friend

You are my desire
No one else will do
'Cause nothing else could take Your place

To feel the warmth of Your embrace
Help me find the way
Bring me back to You

You're all I want
You're all I've ever needed
You're all I want
Help me know You are near
Example #3: Keep Singing
Another rainy day
I can't recall having sunshine on my face
All I feel is pain
All I wanna do is walk out of this place
But when I am stuck and I can't move
When I don't know what I should do
When I wonder if I'll ever make it through

I gotta keep singing
I gotta keep praising Your name
Your the one that's keeping my heart beating
I gotta keep singing
I gotta keep praising Your name
That's the only way that I'll find healing

Can I climb up in Your lap
I don't wanna leave
Jesus sing over me
I gotta keep singing
Example #4: Here I Am
Light of the world
You stepped down into darkness.
Opened my eyes, let me see.
Beauty that made this heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You

Here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,
Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy,
Altogether wonderful to me
These are just a few examples. I am not trying to be negative or ruin these songs, I promise. Like I said, I love most of them. I also realize that men struggle in church and there's good reasons why. We as men struggle to lead and make our relationship with Jesus a top priority. I certainly have struggled with this.

I don't see Jesus as my "boyfriend." He is my rock, my fortress, my King, my Savior, my deliverer, my friend, my Shepherd and my brother. He is powerful and mighty. There are a lot of great worship songs that reflect this truth. There are also a lot that sound a bit too romantic. Help us Lord Jesus sort all of this out!
_______________________________________________________________________

Psalm 150, The Message (MSG)

1-6 Hallelujah!
Praise God in his holy house of worship,
    praise him under the open skies;
Praise him for his acts of power,
    praise him for his magnificent greatness;
Praise with a blast on the trumpet,
    praise by strumming soft strings;
Praise him with castanets and dance,
    praise him with banjo and flute;
Praise him with cymbals and a big bass drum,
    praise him with fiddles and mandolin.
Let every living, breathing creature praise God!
    Hallelujah!


No comments:

Post a Comment