Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Friends

A friend asked me recently, "What do you do to cope when you get into a funk?" What a great question. It's not one guys ask each other enough, but it's very important to be able to answer and be honest about.

In the past, I didn't handle such times of struggle well. Now, I try to do things better, different and more honoring to God. What I strive to do now is...
  • Pray more honestly and "without ceasing," trying to connect with Christ, not just ask for a way out. Apart from Christ and His Holy Spirit, I am undone. Doomed. Hopeless. Powerless.
  • Journal and write a lot
  • Read great books, scripture and other things that remind me of God's truth and promises
  • Talk to other men. This has been a huge addition to my spiritual walk. I have a long list of guys I can call at any time. They each have their perspective and insights that carry me through. 
  • Talk to Amy. I want to open up to her, though I fear triggering her painful memories. We talk through this often, but sometimes not often enough. 
  • Set good boundaries. I want to keep healthy boundaries during times of stress, etc. This is very important for sure!
  • Keep pressing on. Quitting and giving in to fear and feelings of inadequacy is a dead end street. As the book, The True Measure of a Man quoted, "shame is the leukemia of masculinity." Powerful words.
This journey of survival, recovery, and "thriving," is a battle daily to overcome pain, fear, regret, and doubt. God is continually showing us that He is right here with us. It's a huge blessing to experience God the Father in a real, and personal way. It keeps us going. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment