Monday, April 14, 2014

Truth Versus Feelings

If I were not reading something daily to keep me grounded in the truth of Christ and His promises, then I would not be able to work through this "season" of emotional and spiritual "roller coasters" very well. I am prone to drift toward isolation and withdrawal, and negativity, if I don't stay in touch with my "brothers" in Christ, Amy, and Christ Jesus. I know there is nothing good about isolation, withdrawal, self-pity, shame, etc. Therefore, I want to keep wrestling with God about these struggles, and live with joy and victory, no matter what my fears and doubts say to me.

I read this morning these great reminders from my Christian Leadership Concepts study:
We will all face disappointments and tough situations (2 Corinthians 2:12-13). Our life is based on truth, not circumstances, feelings or what others think. We can be confident that:
  • God will always lead us if we put our confidence in Him.
  • Our life is "in Christ," the eternal sovereign God, who is powerful, loving, and in control of the world and us. 
  • He will make our lives victorious as we trust Him, by growing the fruit of the Spirit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. 
We must choose to be proactive in our walk by obeying His Word.
  • In prayer, express thanks for His faithfulness, His working in the situation.
  • CHOOSE to look to Him and not focus on the circumstances. 
  • CHOOSE not to deny your feelings. 
  • CHOOSE to share with your good friend how you are feeling, etc.
We must trust God to work things out according to His pleasure and plan.
We must ask the Holy Spirit to guide us, fill us, grow the fruit in us that we need, and give us the strength to deal with whatever results He allows.

Give thanks that He is in control.
God spoke to me this morning through this day's study, as He does so often. I still get frustrated with myself for having such a "short memory" or magnifying my fears and shrinking His power and goodness.

I have been dealing with various issues for several weeks now that my men's study is addressing head on. Instead of having a "pity party," I want to celebrate who He is and delight in Him. Instead of worrying about how to "fix the situation," I want to rest in His control and follow His leading. Instead of doubt and fear, I want faith, confidence and courage. Instead of stress, I want peace and joy. Instead of feeling inadequate, I want to feel victorious and alive in Him. Instead of isolation and withdrawal, I want to be transparent, open, confess freely, and allow others to walk with me. Instead of confusion and uncertainty, I want gratitude, thanks, and praise for God's sufficient, amazing grace, in all things.

God is doing something in me that I am grateful for. I don't fully know His plan or time table, but the fact that He is still with me, speaking to me, guiding me, sustaining me, and leading me is amazing. I sure haven't "earned it." He is gracious to give it. I want to be teachable, humble, grateful and have the courage to stay in the process of spiritual and personal maturity, no matter how long it takes. It's not a solo project, so that's why my marriage, accountability groups, friendships, and walk with Christ is so important.

"I believe. Help my unbelief."
_____________________________________________________________

"A victorious life comes in spite of your circumstances. It begins now, if Jesus dwells in your heart." Hal Hadden, CLC.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment