Thursday, April 17, 2014

Purpose, Passion, Joy

"If you think about it, most of the great accomplishments in life are the result of people willing to step out of their comfort zones into the unknown, knowing that failure is a possibility." 
Richard E. Simmons, The True Measure of a Man.

There are many new "adventures" I am taking on that are stretching me and pushing me out of my "30+ year comfort zone." It's tempting to let fear keep me stuck and "crippled." I don't want to do that. I want to push through the fear and resistance and walk through it, even if failure could or may happen.

Failure can be a great teacher. I don't wish to fail, especially in sinful ways. However, I don't want to be disobedient to the Lord for fear of failure, or a lack of trust in what's known to Him but unknown to me. And when I fail, I want to get up, learn from  it, and keep pressing on, trusting He will lead me.

My prayer  life has needed to get back to thinking about God's calling and purpose in my life. I believe it's why I have been in such a funk lately. I lost sight of what's most important. I don't want to just get by. I want to live with purpose, passion, joy, and service to others. Otherwise, if I drift through life with no clear sense of purpose and meaning, then madness will quickly follow; along with other unhealthy/harmful thoughts and behaviors.

The reality is, I get to walk through this life with Jesus, "friend of sinners." He is with me everywhere I go. I get to fellowship with Him and His Father through the Holy Spirit. That's incredible! Life has huge significance when I think about this reality and truth. Others need to hear and see this message of hope lived out in me. It's not something I need to keep a secret. I want to live a life that reflects this truth, so others will see and want to know more about Him. If that's not a sense of purpose and meaning all believers have, then we are missing the boat. Lord, forgive me for losing sight of this hugely important responsibility and privilege.
_________________________________________________
Philippians's 4:8-9 (NASB)
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [e]lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [f]dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment