Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Forgiven

This was emailed to me from the company that our men's group got their curriculum from (www.christianleadershipconcepts.org). It is a tear-jerker and reveals in me that which I long to be and do as a person and father, though I often miss the mark. I hope you are as encouraged as I was to be all that God wants you to be, and to live a life of light and salt and forgiveness and grace.
________________________________
FORGIVEN
The following true story was written by a close friend of Craig’s…
Today I was working register #1 and saw a little girl who was a miniature Shirley Temple with brown hair. I mean, the curly hair, rosy cheeks. I was waiting for her to break into "Good Ship Lollipop."
I noticed she was standing very still and was obviously fighting back tears. In one hand, she held a small book, "Yertle the Turtle," and a pen that read "Teachers are the Heart of Learning" in the other. There were probably 4 people waiting in line behind her, all within eavesdropping distance.
As I looked down at this precious little girl, she laid the two items on the counter, looked up at me, mustering all the courage a 5 year old could and said something to me so softly I couldn't understand her. So, I said, "I'm sorry sweetie. What did you say?" I leaned down closer so I could hear her. Her chin quivered as she whispered, "I wanted these. But I took them without paying for them." Okay...oh man...I knew exactly what was going on. I just prayed all those in line would understand my taking some extra time. I walked around the counter and got down on my knees so we would be eye to eye. I feigned extreme seriousness and said, "Well, little one, how do you feel about it?" Her sigh was almost a sob. "Bad." "Are you sorry for taking those things without paying for them?" The little curly head nodded, "Yes, sir." "Are you going to do that again?" Her voice was as broken as her heart. "No sir."

"Well, you know, I've done some things in my life I shouldn't have. But you know what? Jesus forgave me for doing those bad things. And I know He forgives you. So I forgive you too, little friend. Thank you for bringing those things back and being honest. That was the best thing you could have done. You're a very, very good girl."

She didn't seem totally convinced as she turned to leave. She got about 4 steps away from me when I said, "Hey." She turned back. "Can I have a hug?"

Then I saw the dimples. She literally ran to me and buried her little head in my shoulder. As I held her close, I could feel her tears hit my neck. I looked up to see a tall man, Dad, at the end of the counter with tears in his eyes, his lower lip quivering. As she walked away, he said, "Okay. Let's go home."

I stood and turned to see about 10 people wiping their eyes. We all stood there for a few minutes, nobody ready to check out, and talked about which Maxwell House Commercial made us cry hardest.

"If we confess our sins he is faithful and just and will forgive us of our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).
Grateful for You! 
Craig Fry
CLC President

No comments:

Post a Comment