Thursday, May 1, 2014

Character and Reputation

"Our reputation is the way other people see us, while our character is who we really are. If the focus of our lives is on the development of our character and the maturing of our souls, then our reputation will take care of itself." Richard E. Simmons, III, The True Measure of a Man.

I feel like my reputation has several parts - childhood through high school, college, post-college up until my "fallout" of August 2011, and now here in North MS. It would be nice if my "before Christ" life and my "after Christ" life was WAY different, but sadly I committed some of my worst sins as a believer in Christ, even as a minister. Not cool and contradicts the gospel of Christ quite terribly.

Now, I am working hard to let God have His way in my heart and transform all areas of my life that need His Lordship. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about my reputation (as the quote above references), but I do wonder about it from time to time. I know, though, that to spend too much time focusing on my reputation is a waste of time and energy. My main goal is to have character development and maturity. Seeking to improve my reputation, while growing as a person of character is a worthy pursuit when done in proper perspective as a follower of Christ. I need wisdom in this for sure. 

I want people to see Christ reflected in me. I want to express joy and gratitude as a believer. I want to be bold in my faith and not waiver. I want to live with the fruit of the Spirit clearly shining through me. I want it to be real and not just a "public image." Therefore, I want to let God mature my soul and heal my character, transforming me into the man He desires. That process, by default, is slow, steady, and takes a lifetime.

I am not satisfied with how I am doing in my faith journey since I feel like I have a long way to go. However, I am grateful for where I am compared to where I could be or where I probably should be. God is gracious, patient, and kind. He is at work in and around me, and that is simply amazing. I don't want to waste His grace."Open the flood gates of Heaven; let it rain!"
_________________________________________________ 
Ephesians 2:8-9, New International Version (NIV)
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

No comments:

Post a Comment