Saturday, May 10, 2014

Small World

We live in a "small world," or at least it seems that way sometimes. This becomes more of a reality when you run into someone you don't want to see. You could be in another state or even another country and think you will not see someone you know; but that isn't always a guarantee. Or, you could run into someone you love and admire and never thought you would see. Your past and the type of relationship you had with that person plays a big part in how you will feel when you see them.

Last night, I ran into some people from my old home town. Thankfully it was a good "reuniting" so to speak. I didn't avoid them or feel the need to walk the other way. I had a good talk with them and was able to catch up.

It reminded me of two important things I need to take seriously:

One, aim to seek my "regrets" list from growing any longer. The less "messes" I create, the better my life experiences will be. Living in sin and wreaking havoc on myself and those around me leads to stress, shame, and embarrassment. It can take years, or even a lifetime to work through and heal from. God can use it for good, but it won't come without doing some serious personal and spiritual work.

Two, keep trying to make peace with others and my past as much as possible. Running from my past and trying to keep every painful and uncomfortable memory of it "contained" doesn't work. There are constant reminders everywhere, most of which I can't control. Therefore, the more I deal with the pain of my past and seek reconciliation, healing and restoration, the better my life experiences. I won't have to keep spending wasted energy trying to keep the "reminders" at bay. I can take seriously my recovery and "thriving" journey, while doing the first step of preventing more "regrets" from happening.

God gives us commands, promises, and guidance on how to live a life that honors Him, enables us to experience His peace and joy and abundance, and protects us from evil and harm. I've tried it my way, and it doesn't work well. I want His way. It turns out better for everyone His way. He is honored, people are drawn to a relationship with Him, and much good comes as a result. I am a slow, "work in progress."
__________________________________________________________
Romans 6:21-23, English Standard Version (ESV)
21 But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment