Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Father's Presence

Last night Collin, my 9 year old, had trouble falling asleep. Despite me telling him to please go to sleep and not come back downstairs, he couldn't get settled. Part of his difficulty was that my car keys were missing, and he felt responsible for losing them. He was the last one who had them we think, but I can be scatter brained, so who knows. I may have misplaced them. I was not upset with him about the keys. I was frustrated I couldn't find them and spent 30 minutes looking for them. He kept coming to help, but it was 10:00 pm and he needed to go to sleep.

I finally looked in the only place I had not looked - the garbage bag I had taken to the outside garbage can. Voila. There they were. Thankfully trash day hadn't come! I am not sure how the keys got in the trash. That's a mystery. Anyway, I told Collin I found the keys, thinking it would help him go to sleep. Nope. I finally told Amy I was going to go sleep in the bed with him. Once I laid down with him, he didn't get up anymore and went right to sleep. His "father's presence" calmed him. 

I remember feeling that way as a child. Just having my dad around when I was scared, especially while hunting, made me feel safe. There were numerous times when we were deer hunting, and I was scared to death while walking alone. I even had my own gun, but it didn't help me feel at ease. However, when my dad was with me, I was perfectly calm, with or without a gun. It was my father walking me that made the difference.

I am nearing 40 years old, and my Heavenly Father gives me the same comfort that my father gave me as a child, and the feeling I give to Collin (and my other two). Knowing He is with me gives me comfort when I am overwhelmed and afraid. As an adult, I tend to question Him more and doubt and fear, sadly. However, when I rest and abide in Him and submit to His goodness and plans, I can walk with peace, despite the "storms" I feel around and in me.

Shame tried to crush me and tell me to run FROM my Heavenly Father. That's not the message I get from the Lord, though. He says to run TO Him, to His throne of grace. Wow. What love. What grace. What an amazing Father we have. In Him, there is freedom, peace, comfort, grace, forgiveness, discipline, and a higher calling. Staying close is not only best for everyone, but it's the very thing that enables us to walk this life with integrity, joy, obedience, and delight. Sin can't do that for us. I wish I wasn't so prone to wander off and doubt the One who loves me and set me free.
________________________________________________________
Hebrews 4:16 (NASB)
 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment