Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Desert "Dry" Times

I have felt led to study again The Patriarchs by Beth Moore. Amy and I did it in 2012, and really enjoyed it. This semester through home school, Amy has been leading our children through History and Bible times, starting in Genesis and working through the Old Testament. Both our home school curriculum and The Patriarchs study is loaded with examples of God's faithfulness, and struggles of God's chosen people.

In Day Two of Week One, Beth talks about Abram's calling to leave Ur and go to a place God would later reveal. Abram was called from the city to the country. It was a big change and step of faith, both from a religion standpoint and from a lifestyle standpoint. There were many unknowns and Abram wavered in his faith many times.

In Genesis 12:10-20, Abram lies about Sarai his wife to avoid being killed. He momentarily forgot God's calling and power and gave in to fear and doubt. It nearly had devastating consequences for Sarai's dignity, but God intervened. God is good like that. At times, He doesn't always intervene prior to major sin occurring, but He is always good. He is always able to use our weaknesses and failures to do something good.

Beth Moore commented on Abram's leaving Ur and his failure to fully trust, and how it relates to us:
We sometimes experience emotionally what Abram and his fellow sojourners experienced logistically. Negev included desert regions in southern Canaan. The word Negev means "dry." Realizing that God has spoken a word over you and perhaps has made you a promise is a spiritual high - and rightly so. Nothing is like a fresh realization that the God of the universe knows we're alive and that the voice that spoke the planets into orbit has spoken to us. However, the honeymoon period we spend swimming in the spring of a direct word from God is sometimes followed by a trip to the desert...We can be sure the people of God to whom promises come will be tested. For God to strengthen our faith, He must allow us to find cause to doubt. Only Jesus always passed the doubt test...The weaknesses of God's children do not strain the strength of God. 
I am grateful that God has called me out of a life of sin and into a life of faithfulness to Him. The fact that the God who created the universe has spoken my name and personally invited me to walk with Him is humbling and amazing. I can't explain why I have experienced such grace. I deserved death and lifelong punishment for my sins. Though many of my sins have on going consequences, I still feel the presence of God and His leading in my life.

I believe He has called me to a new place, spiritually, vocationally, and even geographically - though some days feel like a "dry" place or a place of testing; an in between stage. It's not necessarily a fun place, but it's a very important place to be. He hasn't given me all of the details of my calling but has often asked me, "Do you trust Me?" I want to trust Him fully. I don't want to forget His faithfulness, power, and goodness.

Many days I get anxious and want to know "how things are going to turn out." I often ask for clarity, specifics, etc, but it usually comes back to "daily bread." As they say in AA, "one day at a time." That's where I am in my journey - surrendering my will, my ways, my fears, my idols, my doubts, and my concerns to Him. I try to focus on TODAY. What do I need to do today, Lord? Show me more of You today. Give me the courage and wisdom I need today.

(my blog has become repetitive in many ways. Same themes of surrender, gratitude, daily bread, and trusting my Good Shepherd, one day at a time). :)

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.[a]

No comments:

Post a Comment