Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Blessings

Reading the book, One Thousand Gifts, helps me live more visibly aware of the many blessings "right in front of me." The words, "Thank You" begin to flow more regularly when I choose to see the many gifts of God. I wish I would have done this for my first 38 years! I missed out!! I have a long way to go, but it's a pursuit worth the struggle. It's way more enjoyable.

Here is a picture of a blessing I noticed this week when I got home the other night. They weren't put out necessarily for me to find. They were just "evidence" of what the kids were doing and thinking during the day. I am blessed. As Dave Ramsey says, "Better than I deserve."

The saying is true, "We see (notice) what we look for." What a freeing statement that changes my perspective for the better when I look for the "gifts" of God, rather than the "woe is me" (self-pity) moments of life. I have done that far too often and know it too well.

In my bitterness, ungratefulness, blame, self-hatred, and lack of love for self and others (and God), I turned to selfishness and hurting others, including myself. Not God's plan. He came to set us free and find life in Him. Much of the "havoc" I caused could have been avoided had I gotten help years ago. I am grateful that my healing is occurring "better late than never," though it's been a lot to sort out and recover from.

I also have to be careful I don't let people I encounter who are stuck in unforgiveness, bitterness and "victim" thinking bother me so much that I lose perspective. I want to have compassion for them and not let my past get in the way. I know what it's like to live that way, so I can become bothered by it when I see it in others who seem to like the "victim" mindset. It's like a mirror that reveals those parts of me I don't like or wish I could take back. Despite all the grace I have been shown, I still have to repent for my struggles to live in the joy of Christ and love others more fully. I have to guard against the "plank-eye" disease!

Blessings are all around - am I looking for them? How many will I fail to notice to day? Will I find joy, even in the menial tasks of life, or will I complain about them? Will I stand in awe of Christ today and be amazed by Him? I hope so. "Open the eyes of my heart, Lord. I want to see you!"

Psalm 3, New International Version (NIV)

A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.

Lord, how many are my foes!
    How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me,
    “God will not deliver him.”[b]
But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
    my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
I call out to the Lord,
    and he answers me from his holy mountain.
I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I will not fear though tens of thousands
    assail me on every side.
Arise, Lord!
    Deliver me, my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
    break the teeth of the wicked.
8 From the Lord comes deliverance.
    May your blessing be on your people.

No comments:

Post a Comment