Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Thankfulness: The Key To a Full Life

I have learned many things during my journey of recovery, and the next chapter of learning is to be thankful "in everything." As I read One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp, I realize how much I struggle to be thankful about everything. I never want to celebrate sin, but I want to celebrate what God can do, despite my sin. He overcame sin and death once and for all, and invites us to share in His life - His joy, His sufferings, His will - all of it.

Voskamp expresses this well when she talks about the key to experiencing full salvation is thanksgiving:
Thanksgiving - giving thanks in everything - prepares the way that God might show us His fullest salvation in Christ.The act of sacrificing thank offerings to God - even for the bread and cup of cost, for cancer and crucifixion - this prepares the way for God to show us His fullest salvation from bitter, resentful lives, and from all sin that estranges us from Him. Our salvation in Christ is real, yet the completeness of that salvation is not fully realized in a life until the life realizes the need to give thanks. In everything?...The way through is hard. But do I really want to be saved?
Even Christ, moments before His suffering began, shared a meal with His disciples, and "gave thanks." Knowing all He was about to endure - betrayal, beatings, abuse, undeserved death, crucifixion, and more - He was able to "give thanks" and keep perspective on His purpose. He knew His Father was good. He never questioned the Father's love. He endured such suffering, out of love FROM His Father and FOR His people.

I am grateful for where God has brought me, though I wish it would have come in a different way; by a different path. I wish I would have never gone down the road of betrayal, but somehow, God is still showing He can turn something evil into something good. Obedience would have been less painful and devastating, but I am thankful He didn't give me what I deserved.

I am hoping to be like the Apostle Paul and "learn to be content" in all things. I want joy in the midst of my circumstances. I want to "give thanks" no matter what I face or experience - good or bad. I want God to give me what I need and what He sees is best; not what I want or think I need/want. The road of healing is to trust and know deep down in my soul, that God is good. Therefore, I can be thankful "in all things" because I know He has a plan and a purpose for everything; even when things seem hopeless or too much to bear.

As Jesus asked the beggar at the Pool of Bethesda, "Do you want to be made well?" Do I really want to experience the full life of being a follower of Christ, even if it means suffering and hardship? Do I trust Him enough to say "Thank you" for my suffering and dark days? Will I still follow Him when the outcome is unknown? Will I still do my recovery, "as long as it takes" and "whatever it takes?" Is He enough?

I hope to get to the place where I live a full life of thanksgiving in everything. It will take some pruning and maturing by God, but the fact that He's willing to do that for me is an act of His love and grace. He could just have left me in the far country to die. He could have forsaken me and refused to restore me. Thankfully, He did the opposite. "He is faithful, even when we are not."

To honor Him, I want to let Him do His work in me and "carry it on to completion." I am hopeful of where He is taking me, though I pray that I will trust His plans, promises and time table, rather than my emotions or limited perspective. Thankfulness and "remembering" all He has done is a huge part of that "endurance." 

Psalm 50, NIV
14 “Sacrifice thank offerings to God,
    fulfill your vows to the Most High,
15 and call on me in the day of trouble;
    I will deliver you, and you will honor me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment