Thursday, October 3, 2013

"His well-tended sheep"

I grew up around cows, so I don't often think of myself as a "sheep," as David the Psalmist talks about in Psalm 23. But, when I do, it puts a lot of things in perspective for me. It's biblical, so I need to think about how it affects my walk with Christ and others. When I see Jesus as my "Good Shepherd," it really puts things in perspective.
 
Common characteristics I have heard about sheep are:
  • they are not too bright/smart
  • they frighten easily
  • they don't like to be aggravated by pests or each other
  • they don't function well when afraid or hungry
  • they constantly need protection and to be led by their Shepherd
  • they go astray and get lost easily (i.e. they are prone to wander from the protection of the fold)
  • they need to feel very safe in order to rest and "lie down in green pastures"
These are just a few of the many. I can see why Jesus referred to Himself as our "Good Shepherd." We have way more in common with sheep than we like to admit or realize. All of those characteristics describe me; some more than others but are still there in me.

Jesus described Himself as the Good Shepherd in John 10:
11-13 “I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd puts the sheep before himself, sacrifices himself if necessary. A hired man is not a real shepherd. The sheep mean nothing to him. He sees a wolf come and runs for it, leaving the sheep to be ravaged and scattered by the wolf. He’s only in it for the money. The sheep don’t matter to him.
14-18 “I am the Good Shepherd. I know my own sheep and my own sheep know me. In the same way, the Father knows me and I know the Father. I put the sheep before myself, sacrificing myself if necessary. You need to know that I have other sheep in addition to those in this pen. I need to gather and bring them, too. They’ll also recognize my voice. Then it will be one flock, one Shepherd. This is why the Father loves me: because I freely lay down my life. And so I am free to take it up again. No one takes it from me. I lay it down of my own free will. I have the right to lay it down; I also have the right to take it up again. I received this authority personally from my Father.”
These verses have a ton of application, spiritually and physically. They are packed with insights into Jesus' heart toward His sheep. He is very personal and takes His protection of the sheep (i.e. us) seriously. When life gets hectic and scary, it is comforting to know that Jesus is right there with us, watching over us. It makes the verse in Hebrews 13:5, "...He will never leave or forsake you..." come alive. I can picture Him with His Shepherd's staff fighting off spiritual demons and evil. It's powerful imagery that I hope to take to heart and rest in.

Another powerful verse about our Shepherd named Jesus is Psalm 100:3 (MSG):
Know this: God is God, and God, God.
    He made us; we didn’t make him.
    We’re his people, his well-tended sheep.
I love this part, "...his well-tended sheep." Isn't that huge!? He's not only present with us, but we are "well-tended." He walks with us, guides us, leads us, provides for us, sleeps by us at night, and fights off all of our enemies. We know His voice and are comforted by Him. As long as we stay close to Him and let Him tend to us, then we are able to freely rest and live. 

I need this powerful truth and reminder. When bills stack up or seem to be more than we can handle, I need to listen to and stay close to my Good Shepherd. When emotions are difficult and dark days are upon us, then I need to listen to and stay close to my Good Shepherd. When circumstances seem too much and it feels like constant disappointment and "evil" is lurking, I need to listen to and stay close to my Good Shepherd. 
In His presence and protection, there is safety. Wandering off and not resting in and near Him leads to anxiety, fear, danger, and vulnerability to evil and "predators." Seems odd that we are so prone to "stray," but sadly we do. I am much better off when I stay close to Him.

Lord, put a hedge of protection around my heart and mind and body so I trust You and stay within your protection and provision. Help me always see that you are Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment