Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sheepness - "Follow the Leader"

In an earlier post, I mentioned that as a sheep, there is "safety in the flock" from predators, etc. Being around godly men as part of my "flock" has been good for me personally and spiritually. As I continue to read about sheep, I realize that some members of a flock don't always follow the Shepherd, but instead follow each other, even to their death or destruction. Look at what the Sheep 101website says about this sheep behavior:
Sheep have a strong instinct to follow the sheep in front of them. When one sheep decides to go somewhere, the rest of the flock usually follows, even if it is not a good "decision." For example, sheep will follow each other to slaughter. If one sheep jumps over a cliff, the others are likely to follow. Even from birth, lambs are conditioned to follow the older members of the flock. This instinct is "hard-wired" into sheep. It's not something they "think" about.
The website explains that sheep aren't doing this because they are "stupid" or "dumb." It's more about instinct. Plus, as sheep have become more domesticated, the more ingrained this instinct becomes. Though we as God's people are seen with high worth and value, more so than animals, we often don't act much different than sheep, sadly.

Even among Christians, it is difficult to find people truly living a full, godly life. As we study Hebrews and read books like Crazy Love and Follow Me, I realize that I have taken my faith for granted for many years as a believer, since 1993, and have often lived contrary to true Christianity. This can lead to a lot of questions I need to ask myself, regularly. If I don't, then I could find myself following the "herd" to places that aren't good, even if those places aren't necessarily sinful. Places that lead to busyness, hectic lifestyle, false identity/security, materialism, fear/doubt, etc.
  • What habits, hobbies, instincts, and/or tendencies do I need to surrender to God and ask Him to help me change (and give me the "want to"/desire to)?
  • What or who am I basing my lifestyle on - God's standards or the world's? 
  • Where's my identity? -(if it's in anything other than Christ, then I am on shaky ground). 
  • Am I growing in my trust of Christ, even when my circumstances are difficult? What about when things are going well - do I still seek Him and trust Him? 
  • Am I willing to go wherever Christ leads me, even if seems irrational, difficult, uncomfortable, and/or opposite of what I thought He would lead me/us to?
I have a long way to go as a "sheep." There are days I wonder if my Good Shepherd wants to take me to the "sale barn" and stop having to deal with my ups and downs. That's not Him putting those thoughts in my head - therefore, those thoughts have to be quickly taken "captive unto Christ." He is good, loving, slow to anger, full of compassion...that's a truth that trumps emotions such as shame, fear, insecurity and doubt. That's good to know and dwell on for sure. Thank you, Jesus.

Psalm 18:19 (NASB)
19 He brought me forth also into a broad place;
He rescued me, because He delighted in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment