Monday, October 7, 2013

Sheep - Natural Instinct is to Flock Together

I am trying to be in tune to my "sheep"ness this week and study about "typical sheep behavior." The bible has lots of references about sheep and us, and Jesus, the Good Shepherd (see John 10 for example). I also found a website called, "Sheep 101 and 201." It is a website dedicated to caring for and raising sheep. Sheep require a TON of work and care. So do we as people!

There is a verse in Isaiah 53 that says, "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all." This isn't so much about sheep, but about Jesus. However, like what happens to sheep, we go astray, away from the safety of the flock and Shepherd. Sin causes that, no doubt. But, Jesus was and is our cure for sin!

For us to get outside the safety of the flock (i.e. go astray) is to act contrary to normal sheep behavior. According to the website, Sheep 101 and 201, they call it "Flocking Behavior,"
Sheep are best known for their strong flocking (herding) and following instinct. They will run from what frightens them and band together in large groups for protection. This is the only protection they have from predators. There is safety in numbers. It is harder for a predator to pick a sheep out of a group than to go after a few strays.
Maybe you've heard that "we are made for relationships." God is very relational and we are made in His image. Therefore, it's not surprising that sheep prefer to be in a flock and "band together." It's the safest and most comfortable place for them to be.

When we are living in sin, going "astray" and away from the flock is what typically happens. The flock is not seen as "safe" but a threat to the sin and secrecy you are trying to hide. Being around other growing believers triggers guilt, shame, and even anger. Avoidance, isolation, loneliness, vulnerability, lies, wandering off, etc. become new "tendencies." That's why the more sin that occurs, the more complex and problematic things become.

In my recovery, staying close to a "flock" of Godly men is an important component for my well-being, purity, and growth as a believer. I need and want men in my life to walk alongside me, ask me hard questions, pray for me, encourage me, and speak godly counsel/wisdom into me. I hope to grow in my ability and availability to do this for other men, too. This is the gospel lived out - making disciples and growing as one.

In all reality, I am a sheep who is in need of a Good Shepherd and a good flock to walk through life with. To deny this truth is to leave myself vulnerable to "predators" and harm. God knows what we need and how to best care for us, His sheep. At the beginning of each day, I have to ask myself: "Am I going to be a trusting sheep, and rest safely in the presence of my Shepherd and "flock," or will I let sin, fear and pride lead me away from Him and toward "sickness, danger, and harm?"

I am thankful that over two years ago my Good Shepherd came and got me, His "lost sheep." I celebrate that and praise Him for it. I want to learn all I can from that experience and stay close to Jesus and His flock, especially my wife and children! What a blessing they are to me!

Luke 15:4-7 (ESV)

“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment