Friday, October 11, 2013

The Electronic Cigarette

While I was pumping gas Wednesday night, I noticed the advertisement above for electronic cigarettes. When I read the key benefits to this "cigarette alternative," I laughed out loud. For some reason, it was funny to me that it says, "No blowing up at the gas pump." Well, isn't that a nice benefit, not only to the person pumping gas and "smoking," but to all the others at the gas station as well? I've never quite understood how people can smoke at a gas station since it is highly dangerous. Oh well, at least there is a solution now! :)

Sin works the same way. My sin affects others besides just me. I have lived this awful truth and still get saddened as I think about all of the families and children and teenagers I hurt by my sin. When I choose to trust in Christ, not only will I not "blow up," but others around me will be spared from the havoc of my sin. Abram faced this when he lied to Pharaoh in Genesis 12. Abram's sin affected his wife and the Pharaoh's household, but thankfully God intervened on Sarai's behalf.

Beth Moore in her study called The Patriarchs said something that is a good reminder about how our sin hurts more than just us:
My stomach turns as I recall a time when I acted more sinful than the less "spiritual" people I knew. I cringe when I hear stories of Christians acting less ethically than those who make no claims of faith. We must be careful to allow God to build bone-deep character in us. The reputation of the whole family of God is at stake.
Apart from Christ we can do nothing. We are "overcomers" as Mandisa sings in her new song. I hope to live like one, and trust the One who made and makes that possible.

Hebrews 12 (NIV)

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment