Monday, February 24, 2014

10,000 Hours

As I strive for a better life and to do better my "next 30 years," I have to be reminded of the principle found in the book, Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. He found that it takes about 10,000 hours of doing something before you get good at it. That is 40 hours per week for five years.Think about the Olympic athletes who put in 8 to 12 hours per day for four years at a time. They didn't get their peak performance by "accident." They work at it every day. They don't just have "natural" or superb talent.

For me to continue to grow spiritually and personally, I have to ask myself, "Am I willing to put in the work and do the 10,000 hours?" And then, do what it takes to maintain that growth, and even continue it. Up until recently, I could not really answer that question with a bold "Yes!" At least not in every area of my life. Working through the hard path of adultery has given us a new perspective on life. Amy and I hope to apply that same effort to overcoming other areas of struggle in our lives.

God is calling us to a higher standard than the world's. He's also calling us to more in Him.

As Ephesians 3:16-20 says:
16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
I don't believe God is honored when we as believers settle for a life of mediocrity, doubt, shame, self-hatred, insecurity, comfort, or less than His best. He is able to do "immeasurably" more than all we ask or imagine. I don't know what all He wants to do in and through me, but I can guarantee it is more than I have imagined for myself. I am excited and longing to allow Him to do all He wants to do in and through me - for His name sake; not mine.

Therefore, today, with His help, I can put in the time to grow, seek, study, pray, and trust. One day at a time, trusting His daily bread. For the long haul. With hopeful expectation. With joy, regardless of my circumstances. That's His will - to know Him and be in awe of Him, delighting in Him and He in us. What a good God we serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment