Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Are you an introvert?

I am not an introvert, at least not fully, but Amy is. Understanding her inner world has been very helpful to our marriage. Her "quietness" tends to make me nervous and uncomfortable. When I don't take it personally (like I used to sadly) but instead honor it, I am able to give her space and not get aggravated. I need to be reminded often that it's because she is an introvert and needs that time to think and be quiet.

Sometimes I do this well, other times I annoy her. :) I am the opposite. I need activity and to talk. I talk as I think. I think. We are different in this area of functioning. For years it was a source of tension. Now, it's an intriguing concept that I hope to grow in. It's really amazing to read about and see firsthand.

As they say, "Before marriage, opposites attract. After marriage, opposite attack." Maybe understanding your differences will keep you from attacking each other.

Amy found this article yesterday called 23 Signs You're Secretly An Introvert. Maybe you are an introvert and this will speak volumes to you. Maybe your spouse is and you will be enlightened as to why he or she is a certain way.

May your differences lead to growth, not division. As Larry Burkett used to say (paraphrase), "In a relationship, if you are both exactly alike, then one of you is unnecessary."



No comments:

Post a Comment