Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Career is part of the recovery plan

My "career" has been one of those looming "dark clouds" for a very long time. In college, I believe I picked a major of study by choosing what seemed to be the easiest path. I didn't have dreams. I felt a mental "wall" that kept me from aiming higher in life. As a junior in college, I felt God call me into the ministry. Shame, doubt, pride, inadequacy, and fear kept me from pursuing it. It took 10 years for me to submit to that calling. In less than one year into it, I blew it.

My career struggles also affected our financial situation. They seemed to be directly correlated, at least for us. I stayed stuck in a vicious cycle of frustration, struggle, and ignorance. I was a terrible leader of our home and didn't take ownership as a husband and father. I spent years as an "employee" in various roles and jobs and never felt quite satisfied. Losing my career as a children's minister caused me to go through a couple of years of soul searching, and financial struggles. God provided for sure because when I filed our 2012 taxes, I was stunned. We had survived below the poverty level for a family of five.

After much stress, prayer, and uncertainty, I stepped out of the employee role and into self-employment. I truly enjoy counseling and plan to continue it. After listening to all types of audios and podcasts from various authors, like Robert Kiyosaki of Rich Dad Poor Dad, my eyes were opened to other ways of thinking and living - such as business building and investing.

It's so far out of my comfort zone and mindset that I feel like I am trying to comprehend a foreign language as I read and listen to Robert's materials, along with other authors with a similar mindset. I am on a journey of getting on track with career and overcoming this big hurdle that has hindered me since the 1990's. Adultery recovery isn't void of career and overcoming major financial damage. Thankfully, God is still gracious and willing to walk us through it.

There are so many options. Amy and I continue to seek the Lord's guidance in this very important decision and direction, i.e. life path. We want to be faithful in a little, so we can better handle more, if God chooses to bless us with more. Whether it's through counseling, TOT, Advocare, Nerium, etc., we want to follow God's lead. We want to surround ourselves with amazing people who lift us up and keep reminding us not to give up on what God can do when we surrender to Him and His "perfect and pleasing will."

I anticipate that 2014 will be our "year of jubilee." I am excited and feel like I am dreaming for the first time in my life. God is SO good. Apart from Him, none of this would be possible.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Matthew 21:21 (NIV)
21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”



No comments:

Post a Comment