Friday, February 28, 2014

God is here; near.

The more I read and study, and the more I experience God's work in and around me, the more I realize the importance of seeking Him daily. I have so much "junk" in my heart that needs healed and pruned. My emotions still get "haywire" at different times, even this week. I waiver between feeling fired up about what God is doing and being tempted to give in to fear and doubt.

Zig Ziglar said it well..."People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." 

One truth that keeps coming to mind is that God is here, near and always with me, us. I don't have to fear or worry. That only distracts from thinking about Him, enjoying Him, seeking Him, trusting Him, and aiming for His best. My experience will be determined by my level of belief. 

A.W. Tozer writes incredibly well about this concept and Psalm 139 when David was reflecting on the truth that he couldn't go anywhere that God was  not. 

Tozer said in The Pursuit of God:
The universal Presence is a fact. God is here. The whole universe is alive with His life. And He is no strange or foreign God, but the familiar Father of our Lord Jesus Christ whose love has for these thousands of years enfolded the sinful race of men. And always He is trying to get our attention, to reveal Himself to us, to communicate with us. We have within us the ability to know Him if we will but respond  to His overtures. (And this we call pursuing God!) We will know Him in increasing degree as our receptivity becomes more perfect by faith and love and practice.
He is here. Focusing on Him, rather than the "what ifs...", outcomes, results, and other things out of our control, increases faith, enjoyment, and peace and joy. My memory is short-lived. Like Zig said, "...that's why we recommend it daily."But, God is patient and knows our struggle to rest, abide, trust, and walk in joy and belief. 

______________________________________________________________________________
Psalm 139:7-12 (NIV)
Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment