Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Self-Doubt

The following quote could sum up a majority of my life....
People underestimate themselves all the time. They listen to that little voice of self-doubt that whispers and sometimes shouts in their brain telling them all the reasons why they can't do something, why they shouldn't even try. I believe there are two voices: the voice of reason, and the voice of self-doubt. The voice of reason is common sense, the voice of self-doubt is your past leading your future." Ken McElroy, The ABC's of Real Estate Investing
Self-doubt, to me, is in essence God-doubt. He calls us to trust Him, even when it doesn't make sense, isn't rational, and seems too big or too difficult. Like the man in Mark 9 who asked if Jesus was able to heal his child, and then asked if he was willing. He then replied to Jesus, "I believe, help my unbelief!" Self-doubt is unbelief..

Self-doubt denies the following promise of God...

Ephesians 3:20-21,New International Version (NIV)
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
McElroy goes on to say something powerful and inspiring. It's what I want my mindset and story to become...
Nothing in my upbringing would have prepared me for what I'm doing now. And yet everything did. I believe it is up to each of us to let go of the memories and scars of unsupportive fathers, ultra-critical mothers, ridiculing friends, and teachers who labeled us from the first day of school. Everybody has had negative influences in their lives and everyone of us will have lots more...Everyone must rise from challenging situations - that's what successful people do. They decide to get beyond their past, whatever it may be. I've chosen to accept my past, learn from it, copy what was good, and realize the bad stuff only makes me stronger.
Are you tired of getting in the way of the HUGE things God can and wants to do in and through you? I sure am. He's big. He's good. I'm small and must become smaller so He can become bigger in my mind, heart, soul, and life. Self-doubt = God-doubt. I have to get out of the way and get "over myself," my fears, my inadequacies, my pride and make much of Him. Then, hold on tight!!!!
Come then for love's sake. Come boldly denying fears. Enter into a love pact to meet Christ daily. Come trembling to confess inadequacies. He is gentle and will understand. He will not force us or hurry the pace beyond what we are able to tolerate. Come to his footstool. Come trusting. And come for the love of him. Intervarsity Press, January 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment