Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Family of 5

Nearly two years ago, I could have lost everything. When exposure of my adultery came out, I lost my career and job at the time. I was basically unemployed for a year. Moving to North MS was like starting over. I am grateful to be starting over WITH MY FAMILY!

Our family of 5 has become extremely important to me. Watching both boys play baseball on most weekends is so much fun. Seeing them interact with their teammates and grow as players on a team and as individuals is exciting. Seeing Claire be a "ball field girl" and have a blast watching her "boys" is a joy too. Her time on the field is coming soon. She's very talented as well.

We have spent many a weekends and days at the ball field for the past 5 years. It is something I took for granted the first three or four no doubt.

My marriage is also a top priority for me. I hate being away from Amy for extended periods of time. I also LOVE to make her laugh. Though we've had some very dark days, making her laugh and laughing with her makes my day. Watching movies with her, TV shows such Dowton Abbey, the Biggest Loser, and the Amazing Race has become a weekly event. Her watching the Mentalist with me is fun too.

Our marriage is closer than it has been in the 16 years we've been together. Looking at us, you wouldn't imagine what we have been through. I hope people see it as a testimony of God's grace, mercy and provision. He has shown His faithfulness and love every step of the way.

Family fun times have taken on a whole new meaning for me this year. Jamming in the truck with the children listening to the Harlem Shake, Ice Ice Baby, Toby Mac and other upbeat songs is a weekly highlight. Hunting for snakes and other creatures in the back yard is fun. Deer hunting was a blast last winter.

Wrestling and tickling the kids is a thrill, though I am not ticklish for some reason. Letting Claire "teach" and demonstrate her gymnastics tricks never gets old. Having family game or TV night while eating popcorn or chocolate spoon cake is the best. And finally, eating family meals together is my personal favorite. We tell funny stories and laugh quite a bit. It is also a time for "teachable moments" that we hope stick with our kids. Eating meals as a family (at a table) is a long lost art in our busy culture.

For my recovery to be successful and long-term, I need to do at minimum two things OFTEN:
1) Remember the pain and suffering I caused myself, my wife and so many others.

2) Cherish all of the blessings I have in my life that would be lost if I relapsed and fell again.


"...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6 (NIV)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment