Friday, July 5, 2013

Confront "Suspicious" Activity

Is this a beer? Or something else?
We were at the baseball field recently and some friends of ours noticed a can in my back pocket (such as the one to the left ). The wife sent a text to Amy and told her I didn't need to "hide" my drink, since they were Baptists, too.

I had put it in my back pocket so I could carry other things into the park. She saw it and thought it was a beer. Does it look like one to you? It sort of looks like a Bud Light can from a distance.

However, it is actually a Sprite Zero. I had one this week. I seldom drink them (and can't remember the last time I had a beer). I imagine if someone didn't know it was Sprite Zero, they would think I was having a beer. Too funny!

We laughed about it and were glad she had the assertiveness to let us know what she was thinking. Though it didn't offend her, it may have someone else.

When it comes to my adultery "recovery," I want to have people in my life who will call me out on my behavior if it looks "suspicious." If I am ever doing anything that makes people wonder if I am struggling with something or not having good boundaries, thoughts, actions, etc, then I want them to ask me about it.

It is important that we as believers have more courage when it comes to walking alongside other believers. At times we need to "get in each others business." Before my junk came out, there was a lot of "chatter" and rumors. One particular couple had the courage to confront me head on. I didn't take their advice sadly. Later, we were able to reconcile, and I was grateful for their courage and friendship.

I want to be that person to others and lovingly confront a brother in Christ, if needed. I don't want to feel "unworthy" or think it's none of my business if another Christian is acting out of character. At the same time, I want mature Christians to confront me when I am out of line, or if they are unsure about something I am doing or saying.

God has called us to do this, so I hope to be obedient to His command. He knows what's best for us and wants to bless us. I want to trust Him and walk in His ways. When we do confront each other in love, beware. The evil one will hate you for it! 

Galatians 6:1 (ESV)
Brothers,[a] if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment