Sunday, July 21, 2013

Our Part. God's Part.


Over the past two years, I have prayed for God's will daily because I am tired of messing up my life. I want to obey Him, and trust His ways are best, even when it seems uncertain of the outcome. Sin never takes away our pain; it only adds to it. More sin = more pain.

Failure at certain tasks, however, doesn't mean I was disobedient to God's will. Not all our plans are going to turn out like we hope. Jesus even said that "in this world, you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world." Yes, He was mostly talking about persecution for our faith in Him, but I am guessing He meant that life is full of disappointments as well. Regardless, He is with us and we have victory in Him.

When temptation and trouble comes though, how will I respond? Will I stand firm and press on or give in to defeat? Perseverance produces character, maturity, and hope. Praying for wisdom to know when to surrender and when to press on is the tricky part.

At times, even when it seems hopeless, Jesus says, "Hang in there. I will rescue you in My time." Other times, He says, "Let go. I have something better for you. I will show you in My time." This is why throughout the proverbs in the Bible, it places such a high value on Wisdom; His Wisdom. It is why Solomon was so blessed. He prayed for the gift of wisdom, and his success and riches followed (though he wasn't without his major faults and sin).

I am learning that I have a small part to play, and God has a major part to play. He allows me the freedom to choose, but it's best if I let Him guide my decisions and life. What's interesting, though, is that it all starts and ends with Jesus. I can't obey without Him. I can't have faith without Him. I can't seek him on my own.

It's only through Christ that I can do anything. Therefore, my small part to play boils down to one word: Surrender (i.e. submit). I must surrender/submit to Him and decrease so that He may increase. The rest is in His hands if I will let Him do His work in and through me.

Our Small Part (i.e. responsibility)
Surrender to His Will, His Ways, His love, His life - Obey as He enables and leads

God's Major Part
Results - Blessings - Guidance - Love - Discipline - Salvation - Forgiveness - Sanctification

God is the unchanging, forever and always One, who created all things and holds all things together. We have the privilege of participating in His life, His work, and His fellowship with the Son and Holy Spirit. He invites us to join Him and blesses us with His life, His joy, His love, His faith, His freedom, His peace, and Himself. Nothing else matters at the end of day apart from this.

Here are some of the MANY words of wisdom from the proverbs (The Message version of the Bible).
Proverbs 16:1 
Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word.

Proverbs 16:9 
We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it.

Proverbs 19:16
Keep the rules and keep your life; careless living kills.

Proverbs 19:20
Take good counsel and accept correction- that's the way to live wisely and well. 

Proverbs 19:21 
We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but God’s purpose prevails.

Proverbs 20:18
Form your purpose by asking for counsel, then carry it out using all the help you can get.

Proverbs 20:27
God is in charge of human life, watching and examining us inside and out.

Proverbs 21:31
Do your best, prepare for the worst - then trust God to bring victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment