Monday, September 9, 2013

By faith...

There are days when I reach a crossroads of faith - do I continue in the direction God is leading me, though growth and results are slow, or waiver in unbelief. When I get those thoughts of doubt and fear, I need to be reminded of those saints who have gone before me. They set the example of faith that keeps me pressing on. 

Hebrews 11 has numerous examples of heroes of the faith. Some key phrases stuck out to me this week when reading through chapter 11, verses 7-16. 
 By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, [h]in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.
By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed [i]by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise; 10 for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God. 11 By faith even Sarah herself received [j]ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised. 12 Therefore there was born even of one man, and him as good as dead [k]at that, as many descendants as the stars of heaven in number, and innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore.
Look at a few of the key phrases that point out their faith rather than fear or doubt:

Noah - Verse 7 -  "...when warned by God about things not yet seen..." (it had not rained yet)

Abraham - Verse 8 - "...he went out, not knowing where he was going..." (a land unknown)

Sarah - Verse 11 - "...even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life..." (past childbearing ability)

Then, the big finale in verses 13-16:
13 All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14 For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. 15 And indeed if they had been [l]thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not [m]ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.

God didn't give them "rational" instructions (Noah), clear direction (Abraham), or even realistic expectations, spiritually or physically (Sarah), but they each believed in faith that God was trustworthy and would come through for them - either on Earth or in Heaven someday. None of them were perfect, but their faith showed their inner heart change and belief.

Look at verse 16, "But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them." Wow. They lived for a greater calling, a greater purpose, and a greater God.

Trusting Christ is not always an easy journey. In fact, we can get too comfortable here in America and lose sight of the fact that it really has great risks. In my faith journey, I know I have much more growth that is needed. I want to live by faith and trust that God will provide and be faithful to all He has called me to. I don't want to base my faith and trust on my emotions or circumstances, though.

Lately, I haven't  felt as full of faith and confidence as I would like, but despite my feelings of concern, anxiousness, and uncertainty, I am working hard to press on and stay the course. Having other believers in my life who keep me accountable, encourage me, and walk with me makes a huge difference. I want to be that for others as well.

The secret to doing this? Set my mind on things above; on Christ. That's my goal today. I may need to be reminded again tomorrow. And then the next. It's one day at a time.

Colossians 3:2 The Message (MSG)

He Is Your Life

1-2 So if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment