Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Daily Bread

Over the past two years, I have had to do a lot of personal growth work and let God prune me of so much junk, fears, struggles, etc. Lately, my pruning has involved learning how to trust God one day at a time. I am learning how to give up trying to make things happen and surrender control to Him. I don't like the unknown and want so badly to be a good provider for my family. However, He is much better at it than I am. I am slowly letting go. Notice I said "slowly."

Starting over in my career hasn't come easy, though I did it to myself and my family. I have experienced God's grace in so many ways, but I keep having to ask for His forgiveness each time I get fearful or impatient with the process; His process. For two weeks, I have felt God speak to my heart and mind two simple words, "daily bread." When I get overwhelmed, I hear Him say, "Daily bread." When the income doesn't match our expenses, "Daily bread." When our situation seems overwhelming and too much to bear, "Daily bread."

It's what God provided for the Israelites when in the desert and gave them manna, just enough for each day. Jesus said it when He taught the disciples how to pray, "Give us this day our daily bread." There are numerous other Bible verses that talk about "today" and trusting His provision today. Seems pretty important if God continually repeated it throughout scripture.

Those two words "daily bread" have carried me through the past two weeks. I have been on an emotional roller coaster no doubt. When I start trying to "figure out" all of the logistics of my career, financial stability, kid's stuff, marriage growth and recovery, and everything else in our "world," I get bogged down with fear, anxiousness, frustration and despair. However, when I think, "daily bread," and how can I trust Him today and be faithful/obedient today, then those struggles seem to ease up. My circumstances don't change a whole lot, but my perspective does.

Today is a gift. I want to treat it that way and trust Him fully - today. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, so I will have to remind myself again in the morning, "daily bread." What I do know is that He's trustworthy and is preparing me for His will and plans. I also know He is with me and longs for me to know Him, to love Him and others, to let Him love me, and that He will never forsake me. Regardless of my emotions, that's a promise He gives to His beloved children.

I want to grow today, so I am prepared for tomorrow's battle, tomorrow's blessings, and tomorrow's circumstances. "Give us this day our daily bread."

 





No comments:

Post a Comment