Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Why Recovery is a Daily Decision

Every day presents a choice for me, especially pertaining to my recovery and spiritual growth. Will I keep doing the daily work of growing, being accountable, trusting in Jesus and learning, or will I let my guard down and take it easy for little while? Here are two Bible verses to remind me, and maybe you, of the dangers of not taking seriously our spiritual and personal growth, daily:

1 Peter 5:8, New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
 1 Corinthians 16:13, New American Standard Bible (NASB)
13 Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
Those are pretty clear about the spiritual warfare that is occurring in and around us. Families are falling apart. Children are rebelling. Couples are divorcing. Adultery is rampant among Christians, pastors, and many others. Abuse, neglect, loneliness, anger, distrust, bitterness, resentment, murder, envy, strife, lust and much more are common place, even among believers.

I am not trying to be negative or simply "realistic," but I am reminded of my sin and the evil that longs to destroys God's people. I fell into the trap and paid a high price, and so has my family. I don't ever want to allow that to happen again.

I am not just talking about setting good boundaries and modifying behaviors. Not allowing myself to be in or near potentially sinful situations is obviously important. Sadly, many of us have neglected those "basics." It's about being "transformed by the renewing of your mind so you can test and approve God's will, His perfect and pleasing will." God wants my heart, soul, mind and body; not just "good behavior."

My recovery has been more than just sexual purity and healing. It goes deeper to the aches and pains of my soul, the inner self hatred, the deep feelings of inadequacy and incompetence, and never feeling good enough - that left me vulnerable to sexual sin. I have had to repent of those feelings, sometimes daily, and ask God to forgive me for letting those feelings take root.

To be of "sober spirit" means several things to me. One, it means I know and recognize my ability to sin and fall short of God's commands. I know I am capable of blowing it big time and never want to lose sight of this reality.

Two, to be sober in spirit, I must refuse to give in to the lie that sin has a hold over me. I am no longer in chains due to the blood and sacrifice of Jesus. He broke every chain and sin has no victory in my life.

Three, my victory is in Jesus. When I allow Him to fill me, transform me, change me and heal me, I will experience spiritual attacks, but I am not alone. He is with me, interceding on my behalf to the Father, and the Holy Spirit is in me to guide me.

There is a real enemy hoping to catch you off guard. However, he has limited power and is already defeated. Jesus overcame him and on his way down, the devil is trying to bring as many of God's people down with him. Don't give in. Stand firm. Be alert. Be strong. Live in the freedom that Jesus has so willingly given.

Today is a new day. I want to repent of any sinful, un-Christ-like thinking or believing, stand firm, and celebrate Jesus. It's a new day. God is good - all of the time. And, "sin sucks like h--l." :)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment