Thursday, September 19, 2013

"Idolatry is Adultery"

I have started reading "Gods at War" by Kyle Idleman, also author of "Not a Fan." Interesting perspective so far that says that our sins are the result of some form of idolatry. Not golden calf kinds of idols here in America, but idols such as money, power, sex, control, approval, food, success, etc.

In chapter three Idleman reflects on God as a jealous god. He says,
The prophet Ezekiel used a powerful analogy to describe what idolatry feels like to God. He compares it to a cheating spouse. The analogy runs all through the scriptures. The pain of having an unfaithful partner is surely one of the most agonizing human experiences. It's the ultimate betrayal. Yet this is how we are described when we reject the love of God for cheap substitutes. God is he betrayed lover.
That puts our sin in perspective doesn't it? It does for me, all over again. Amy wrote about this some when she said that my betrayal of her was ultimately my betrayal of God. King David said this too in Psalm 51. 

God doesn't want to compete for our love. He's a jealous God. But not in an insecure way. His love is very secure. He has no insecurities in Him. His jealousy is a reflection of His deep love and passion for us. That's incredible. This sort of truth and realization is what I need to think on DAILY. I need to let that sink in and take root and never doubt or forget it. I never want to betray Amy ever again OR my Heavenly Father!

Realizing that "idolatry is adultery" is a sobering, scary thought. It makes the tragedy of sin very real. My choices do in fact have both temporal and eternal consequences. To give in to sin and "idols" is to deny Gods amazing love and fail to trust THE ONE who deserves my whole heart. Only through Him will I ever be able to experience true life and abundance. 

Idleman goes on to describe how God responds to our adultery:
The jealousy of God is demonstrated not just in the offense he takes at our idolatry, but in his pursuit of our hearts. He doesn't just let you run off with some lover; He relentlessly chases after you. No matter what god seems to be winning the war for your heart at this moment, you can be sure of one thing - the one true God will not give up without a fight. God is in pursuit of our wandering, adulterous hearts, and he will stalk us to our graves .
That's good news my friends. Why is that so hard to fathom and abide in!? I believe, Lord. Help my unbelief!

Psalm 34:8 (NIV)
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
    for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
    but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
    I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 Whoever of you loves life
    and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
    and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
    seek peace and pursue it.

No comments:

Post a Comment