Monday, September 16, 2013

Part of my "Pruning"

Part of my recovery has been to allow God to "prune" me in many different ways. One of them has been physically. Here is a picture of me "Before and After" my weight loss pruning. The left picture is from November 2011 (two months after I resigned from the church). The one on the right is from July 2013. I feel way better!


When I started my pruning, I weighed around 202+ pounds. My eating habits were terrible! I had a sugar addiction no doubt. I mistreated my body daily with junk foods, etc. However, I was very active and ran a lot. I had even done 5 marathon in the previous years. And guess what? I had never dropped a pound. In November 2012, Amy asked me to join her in a 24 day challenge with Advocare (www.sparkhope.net). I said yes, not really sure I would take it seriously.

Well, it is a year later, and we are still working on our lifestyle and eating habits, though some days present challenges for sure. Too many options and opportunities to resort back to my "sugar addiction" and treats. However, we enjoy the changes and know it's more honoring to God (but not perfect for sure).

The greatest part of the pruning in all of the areas of my life has been my partnership with Amy. We are in this together and are a team. I love that! I failed to do that for so many years, but thankfully, despite our major tragedy, we are growing through it together.

So whether it's been weight loss, accountability with other men, overcoming shame and self-hatred, recovery from moral failure, etc, the greatest gift is a redeemed walk with Christ AND Amy and my children. With Christ, we are striving to use it all for good and to give others hope. We are grateful for all of you who have walked with us through it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment