Saturday, September 28, 2013

Hide or Be Known

Shame tells us to hide. It says, "If you really knew me, then you wouldn't love me." I know. I lived it for so many years. For Amy and I to continually be public with our recovery, our fears, our thoughts, and our lives goes against how we lived for so many years. Probably more so for me.

God works in the light. He tells us to leave the darkness, and run to Him. He says, "There is no fear in love because perfect love cast out fear, because fear has to do with punishment." 1 John 4:18. Evil thrives in darkness. Jesus is light. His truth and way is in the light. Will we hide or be known? What a powerful, and scary, question.

I have been watching the Plan B DVD study. Pete Wilson is a great communicator and story teller. Very genuine and real; transparent. He said a quote in the "Me Too" section of the study that was excellent and so true:
"You can only be loved to the extent you are known."

When we hide, live secret lives, and run from community and being transparent with others, the love we give and receive is hindered. Shame and sin has more power over us when we hide in darkness and fear. Fear, shame and evil says, "Don't tell anyone! You will be rejected, judged, etc." Christ says, "Come into the light. My Light. And you will find life, freedom, healing."

I am so grateful to be more open and living in God's light, rather than darkness. It doesn't always come easy, but we are growing to become more comfortable with it. As God continues to lead us out of darkness and fear, we get to experience His love and other people's love more fully. What a healing experience no doubt, that we hope God will use to heal others as well.

John 8:12 New International Version (NIV)

1When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment