Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Are you Christ-Like?

As believers, Jesus Christ is our example (hopefully). Sadly, the world fails to see Christians living like Christ and reflecting who He is. I have failed to reflect Christ way more than I prefer to remember. I made a profession of faith in Christ on November 17, 1993. I had some great years of growing in Christ, followed by some very dark years of setting a terrible example. Adultery, anger, resentment, irritability - these are just a few ways I failed as a believer.

I hit rock bottom on August 26, 2011. I believe I was "born again" for the 2nd time and finally let God deal with the darkness in my soul regarding my sexual purity, shame, and deep insecurities. I am on a road of recovery that is approaching two years. It is a lifelong commitment of accountability to other men, a daily pursuit of Jesus, prayer, personal growth, sanctification and pruning, and beyond.

Despite the "invisible A" I wear, I want to honor Jesus with my life. My sin is not my identity, but it is something I face each day. To be Christ like is a goal I have that I can't achieve on my own. I found an article recently by Barna Research titled, "Are Christians more like Jesus or more like the Pharisees?" Wow. That is great stuff. Sadly, a huge percentage of Christians act and think like Pharisees instead of like Jesus.

Click on this link and check out the article.
http://www.barna.org/faith-spirituality/619-are-christians-more-like-jesus-or-more-like-the-pharisees#.Ua5RKrPCl5c.email

I have moments of Christ-likeness followed by bouts of pharisee behavior. How about you? Are you Christ like or more like a pharisee?

No comments:

Post a Comment