Thursday, August 29, 2013

Slow Down

Since August, I have found myself getting in a rush and trying to "juggle" many different things at one time. We are trying to make some minor updates to the house, such as painting, etc. Fall baseball has started, and I am helping assist with Collin's team. TOT has lots of great things happening. We are home schooling, so I am trying to be available to help with that. I am counseling and trying to build up my practice. We are building our Advocare business, striving to be "difference makers" in our community. Not to mention me trying to remain active as a husband, dad, friend, and follower of Christ.

It's a lot to write, much less manage daily. This week I have let myself get a bit overwhelmed by it all. I am reminded this morning to do something very important - slow down. Slowing down is so important, yet at times is something I struggle to do. However, when I do it and learn to enjoy the "process of life," things turn out better.

Someone once said that "Jesus was busy but not rushed." That's stuck with me for years. I like that balance. Jesus was very relational and determined to fulfill God's purposes. However, He didn't get in such a rush that He missed opportunities His Father was placing before Him. He wasn't so "task driven" that He missed the very people He came to save. People, not tasks, were His mission. I have a lot to learn about this example of Jesus'.

A great Bible verse that comes to mind is Psalm 46:10 (NIV):

10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
I want to slow down this week. I want to actively look for where God is at work. I want to listen for Him as He speaks to me. I want to watch for "God moments" and be obedient to sharing a message of hope with others. I want to spend quality time with my children instead of rushing through the day. I want spend time with Amy and enjoy her presence.

I have a lot to learn. I know this and am grateful that the Lord is patient and sees sanctification and maturing as a process, a journey. As our good friends say, "People are more important than things." So true and a much needed reminder today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment