Friday, August 2, 2013

Daily bread

When I was training for marathons a few years ago, there would be long runs that felt too tiring to hang on and finish. Thinking about the distance left to run could be overwhelming. 

What I started doing when I felt that way was narrowed my focus. I would focus on the next mailbox, tree or light pole in my path instead of thinking about how far I had to go. Once I reached the object, I would pick the next one to focus on. It made a huge difference in how I felt and enabled me to finish lots of long runs. 

In my life, I have similar feelings of being overwhelmed. Even this morning. I get to thinking about the long list of expenses we have coming, the tasks we need to get accomplished, etc. Stress and anxiety try to creep in. 

What do I need to do? Narrow my focus. That's what I did this morning. I said all I can focus on is today. I don't know what all will happen tomorrow. All I know to do is focus on today. My stress lowered and I felt energized for the day. 

Like the Lord's Prayer, "give us this day our daily bread." That's my prayer and focus today. I will probably need to do this again tomorrow and then the next. It sure beats stressing and worrying. God has been too good for me to waste energy stressing. I'd rather focus on Him and His goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment